• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Old Albin27FC solo cruise from Charleston SC to New Orleans

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Old Albin27FC solo cruise from Charleston SC to New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

I bought Free State on an Ebay auction, sight unseen from my desk in London UK and flew out in March 2015 and spent a few weeks sorting her out and making her sea worthy.
Her HIN# indicates she was the fifth Albin27 built in 1983.
I originally planned to head north to my cousins in Canada but the Chesapeake was still frozen, let alone futher north, so made towards New Orleans instead.
70 plus year old bones need the warmth!
In 40 days I sailed her about 1800 miles with the only problem being the disintigration of a new raw water impeller, fitted in Charleston before I left, leaving me bouncing around in the Gulf while I fitted another new one.
Another irritant was the brand new Lowrance GPS Map refusing to fire up in Naples forcing me to revert to dead reckoning and paper charts on our way to Charlotte. Lowrance close their 'Help Desk'at weekends.
Standard sort of problems on a cruise.

Completed the last of ten videos of my trip last year - I had a fantastic time. Thank you America for your hospitality.
Links to youtube clips if it may interest you. Warning - they are very amaturish with a cheap camera :-

Part 1 - https://youtu.be/GthaDtl7eMc
Then in the description of each video is a link to the other 10 clips

Roger
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Old Albin27FC solo cruise from Charleston SC to New Orle

Post by Nancy »

Wonderful videos, Roger! Thanks for posting.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

Post by BobHaze »

I just sat and watched all 10 clips, and really enjoyed them! I'm glad you had such a nice trip and I almost hope Free State doesn't sell, so you can continue your American adventure. Jolly good!
Bob
2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Amazing and inspiring! And I thought we had done something by trailering our 1971 Albin 25 over the road from Arizona to NY for a bit of the Erie Canal, driving to New England for a couple day trips on Long Island Sound then driving down to Maryland for two weeks cruising the Chesapeake Bay finally driving back to Phoenix during the very time you were working your way down the ICW to New Orleans. Our total miles on the water over the past two years including East Coast in 2015 and San Juans in Washington State and Gulf Islands in British Columbia in 2014 was about 700 NM altogether. We're pikers compared to your exploits! I tip my hat to you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

I don't know about that, DesertAlbin, I think you have probable seen more of your oun country than most of the population!!
Travelling the world, I always find it difficult to get comparisons right, so I use the wonderful asset of Google Earth to get my proportions right. As you spin the world at the same altitude, you reduce the distortions of the Mercator Projection typical of paper maps.
So below is little old UK with her 60+ million residents on top of the US with 200+ million.

The USA is BIG!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I agree Roger the USA is Big not unlike Australia but I will add its cramped over here!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Actually, our US population is over 300 million, maybe even closer to 320. But you know what, as you found in your travels we Yanks have a great affection for the British, the Canadians, and Kiwis. After all, we are all cousins so to speak & share the same language and culture, current US political craziness not withstanding. Arizona and the Southwest have some things in common with Australia, i.e. vast expanses of desert. It took us a week of driving 350 to 400 miles on average per day to get from Arizona to New England.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Paul Nelson
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by Paul Nelson »

so, as of today, Friday, Feb 26, 2016.. are you still in New Orleans? .. We live here .. maybe get in touch with you? .
Paul Nelson.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Hi Paul,
Free State is laid up ashore at Seabrook Harbor on the Navigation Canal.
Since June '15 I have been back home in the UK. But as the Albin hasn't sold I will be back in New Orleans in early April '16 to continue my adventure and try to sell her at the same time. I would love to meet you when I return and swap notes.
I hope you weathered the terrible storms/tornados earlier this week ok. I was watching their path very closely.
Roger Walker
wlasci
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Slidell, LA

Post by wlasci »

If you do come back to NOLA you would be welcome to tie up at my house. I have 30 Amp power, water and showers, and I would be happy to show you around the neighborhood. I have followed your U Tube posts since you started your trip. My wife and I have made several trips as far east as St. Marks FL as well as up to the beginning of the Tennessee River. We have put 3000 miles on our boat since we purchased it in Florida. Our 4D61 engine has 3000 hours with no major maintenance problems. I believe you picked a really great boat for your trip.

Thanks for the great videos.

Bill Yauger
AC27 " Lokahi"
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Thank you Bill for your offer. Another example of great American hospitality that I found in all my travels in your lovely country. I don't think I will be headed to the North Shore again but you never know.
I was very impressed by the Slidell Heritage Park - a great credit to your city.
Mad Dog
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: New London, CT

Post by Mad Dog »

Thanks for posting the videos. I watched them last night. They are a great guide on frugal cruising!

Brendan
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Haha! Frugal is exactly the word - my pension is very limited!
My approach was to accept that a 30+ year old boat has some rough edges and may leak a bit here and there so long as I concentrated on making her seaworthy and reliable as a goal.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

My wife and l really enjoyed your travel videos, they were inspiring. Thanks, Mark.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

I'm glad you enjoyed them Mark. I now regret I didn't explore the St. John River, but it could easily have been a week just doing that. Oh well, one can't do everything.
Fair winds, Roger

Return to “Cruising”