• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

on the boat again

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: on the boat again

Post by jleonard »

Made it thru the rideau, currently in kingston,ontario. Heading to clayton,ny thusday then driving to potsdam for son,s wedding.
After that we,ll head for home via the erie canal.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Sag Harbor for the weekend...then up the CT River to get hauled out on wednesday. Been a great summer aboard.
Will have travelled just a shade over 1500 miles and been thru close to 100 locks. I'll post final totals in a week or so when we get home and have good internet again.
Oh..so far only 3 hours on the genset this summer.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Ahhhh....good times coming to an end :( Sure sounds like you had a great time. Looking forward to the totals...
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I was in Sag Harbor yesterday afternoon!
Had I known I would have stopped by and said hi.
You can check out Billy Joel's boat there. One block east of town on Bay Ave. Salmon colored deck/roof commercial looking downeaster named Alexa.

I'd take it!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Yes we have seen Alexa many times over the years. We also saw his 35 mill home in Oyster Bay earlier in the week.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

The boat is now at Yankee in Portland waiting to be hauled out. Yesterday was a "fun" trip across from Sag to Hamburg Cove. Pea soup leaving Sag, Then just before we got to the Gut the thunderstorms started and lasted on and off untill we got to Essex.
Trip totals....84 days aboard, 1534 statue miles, 237 engine hours and 490 gal of diesel, (plus 11.5 genny hours, most of them at Sag). That works out to 2.06 gal per hour and 3.13 miles per gallon. That's a little less efficiency that last summer, but we did the trip "backwards" and were bucking river currents much of the way.
All in all a cheap cruise and much less costly than keeping the boat in a marina slip all summer.
Next year we are thinking about cruising entirely in the NY canal system esp the western erie which we have never done. We'd have to strip the enclosure for that portion and for the finger lakes as well.
That would only cost us fuel plus the $100 canal fee and any occasional marina we chose to stay at. That could be a cheap summer.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Thanks for the stats! What do you think the average cost for a gallon of diesel was? Were you on the hook most of the time? I bet that was a trip that you'll always be able to talk about. Thanks for all your updates....it was enjoyable traveling with you!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

tbnolin wrote:Thanks for the stats! What do you think the average cost for a gallon of diesel was? Were you on the hook most of the time? I bet that was a trip that you'll always be able to talk about. Thanks for all your updates....it was enjoyable traveling with you!
We paid $4.04 in Old Lyme, CT in June, $4.39 in Rouses Point, NY in July, and $3.69 in Brewerton, NY in August. I estimated the fuel to top off since we had bad thunderstorms as we were running by Old Lyme on our way up the CT river tuesday.
We stayed on the hook unless we were in the canals, where we stayed on the walls. We paid for the "mooring pass" for the canadian canals, otherwise there was a charge per night. At many of the Canadian canals we paid $9.80 per night for electric if it was avalable. A little high for a boat without A/C but it is what it is.
We stayed at Coeman's Landing in the HUdson for two nights, Rondout one night, and in Montreal "Port D'Escale" two nights.
We made a donation to the town of Pheonix for the two nights we stayed on their docks, I didn't ask my first mate what she gave them.
When I get back to the boat I'll gather up my receipts and see if I can total them up.
All in all it was a pretty cheap summer, but we did spend a fair amount in the local pubs. Nothing better than a burger and a few cold drafts in the early afternoon when travelling. You meet some great folks that way. LOL
Oh yes and then there was the ketchup incident in Ottawa...anyone ever have an exploding ketchup bottle? I got a free shirt out of the deal though. LOL
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Cruising”