• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

on the boat again

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

on the boat again

Post by jleonard »

On our second annual summer long cruise. Worked our way down li sound, thru the east river and Harlem river, currently in roundout creek.
Been out one week, haven't run the genset yet thanks to the new Balmar alternator and smart regulator. Me gots more 12v than i can think of using.
Will work our way thru l champlain and into ca, eventually into the rideau canal then back to ct.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: on the boat again

Post by DougSea »

Sounds great Jay! Make sure to wave at Newburgh for me as you go by!

Is your wife posting pics again this trip? If so, can you send me a PM with the details to find them?

Have a great time!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Debby Leonard is posting pics on facebook as we go. You can friend her.
The blog was too difficult to deal with, facebook is much easier.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Sounds fantastic!!! You'll be heading up to some ole stomping/cruising grounds! Roundout is a great stopover. Coeymans Landing is another great marina...just south of Albany Give our best to Hedi if you stop. They have an excellent restaurant that specializes in calamari.. Waterford has a free wall with power water and restroom/showers. Schyuler Yacht Basin is where we had Blue Moon slipped for a few years. If you stop there for an overnight, be sure to send our best to Judy and Phil...great people! North of there is a free wall in Ft. Edward...same amenities as Waterford. A free wall is on the end of Champlain in....?...brain Fa*t!! Once into Champlain Vergennes also has a free wall...a long ride up the Otter Creek...but relaxing and peaceful. Shelburne Bay Is a great spot to drop the hook if there is a south wind...Burlington is right there...a must stop!! Burton Island State Park is a nice sheltered area for the night...reasonable rates. Mallett's Bay has a few marinas and also some great anchorages. I could go on.... Have a great, safe time! You'll love it!

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Can you taste the Labatt's yet?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:Can you taste the Labatt's yet?
:wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

RobS wrote:Can you taste the Labatt's yet?
Ummm...still trying to finish up the Coors Lite before we hit the border. LOL

At Coeymans now. They are fantastic hosts. Staying 2 days...had to order some parts from Defender...and replacement Balmar smart regulator so all day tomorrow is a work day for me.
We discovered the calimari last summer. That sampler plate is to die for.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Repairs by one self along the way are always a nice reassurance of competence and independence and a good a reason as any to enjoy an extra cold one or three. Good luck with the fixes...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jleonard wrote:...and replacement Balmar smart regulator so all day tomorrow is a work day for me.
Ahh Jay, you spoke of over abundant amps and the boating gods corrected the situation...They ARE fickle those boating gods. :o
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The boat gods have certainly traveled with me, and they have been to two Rendezvous. 2009 in Essex I had to steal Ric's minivan and drive to Standish to pickup a new steering cylinder.

In 2010 that steering cylinder turned out to be defective and blew a seal on the way home from a 3 Albin get together at Coecles Labor Day weekend. As I came off auto-pilot into ripping Shinnecock Locks I had minimal steering, perfect! I keep the fill kit and fluid on the boat so I dropped anchor after the locks and topped her off and went light on the helm for the rest of the run home.

The following year, 2011 Rendezvous at Coecles, the morning of the day I was departing my domestic fresh water pump died and we were leaving to head to Block Isl for a few nights on the hook so my dockside water hookup was not an option. For that fix I just walked over to the Albin in the slip next to me and stole his (thanks Matt). And just a few hours later on the way to Block my oil cooler covered fractured and starting spewing sea water into the bilge, luckily my on dash bilge LED light quickly alerted me and we were just outside of Montauk. So a little detour and change of plans. A $30 parts invoice and a few great days in Montauk and then we continued on…

Sounds like weed need a new topic “Visits from the Boat Gods”.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Ahhhh yes....the calamari sampler plate....a fine choice!! Hope your travels are going well. Where are you now? You're in my neck of the woods...like to keep tabs on you!!

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Currently in Whitehall on the town dock. My gosh waht a craphole Whitehall turned into from 20 years ago.
Nothing to ever make me want to come back here.
Resturants are not open, museum is not open (sign says they should be).
Heading to Champlain in the am...maybe anchor at Ft Ticon.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Yep, you're right...Whitehall has turned into a dumpy area. It's unfortunate. Our first trip there was about 14 years ago and it wasn't too bad. Our last trip there was about 5 years ago and we noticed a big difference. The quality of the water is not the best as there is no water flow (Champlain flows north). Once past the new bridge the water really cleans up. If you plan on watching the fireworks in Burlington, double check the day as they usually celebrate on the weekend closest to the 4th...not necessarily on the 4th.

Enjoy!

Tom

Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Burlington fireworks are on the third. Going by boat is not for the faint of heart. (So we don't go. Did it once when we were younger and invincible. Never again!) A mooring or slip is probably not to be had at this point, and there is not a reliably-protected anchorage. The boat traffic after the fireworks is firghtening.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Tried to get something in Burlington no luck. Not to watch the fireworks though, I really don't get thrilled by them, just as soon be someplace else.
Right now anchored in Converse Bay. Was at 5 mile point last night. No one warned me about the heavy heavy clay bottom...broke the windlass getting the Danforth out!! :shock: So Deb ran the boat for 2 hours while I took the entire windlass apart on the foredeck. Found a sheared pin on the main gear. Replaced with a bolt (alll I had) and now it works again. :mrgreen: Ain't boating fun.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to actually see some of the lake. LOL
Tomorrow maybe Valcour Is. Or Malletts Bay.
Tom and Nancy...thanks again for all the great info.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Cruising”