28 TE Convertible - 39,000

Selling your Albin? List it here. Doing upgrades and want to share your usable stuff? Looking for a good deal? (no commercial listings please)

Moderator: Nancy

Forum rules
Links to external personal sites and photo hosting sites are allowed. Links to dealers, brokers, eBay, etc., will be edited/removed by the moderators.
We strongly encourage you post pictures and details directly within your ad.
jcollins
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Baltimore

Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 pm

We are offering Afterglow for sale. This 1995 Albin TE28 / Convertible has been as close to our perfect boat we could find. This boat has been a joy for Sharon and I to own. Mechanically the boat is in very good condition and has always been maintained by qualified mechanics. Cosmetically it could use a good cleaning as I have not had much time this season.

This convertible model is one of 15 or so produced from 1993 to 2005. The convertible is considered a rare find given that around 1000 total 28s were built. The convertible has a large “radically-raked, welded aluminum American Marine tempered safety-glass windshield and a TIG-welded aluminum radar arch. (Compliments of J & J Fabrications)” Visibility is virtually unobstructed. This is a well built, well planned, stylish vessel. She is well equipped and has lots of room for weekends with the family. She has a bimini and full canvas enclosure for boating in inclement weather. We generally boat from March until November and have spent many hours cruising the Chesapeake, in all kinds of weather, and have never felt unsafe.
We are the 3rd owner of Afterglow. Her first owners kept her on Lake Champlain. Her second owners lived in Annapolis and made the trip to Florida and back. We have spent many nights on the hook and in marinas. The Albin is a comfortable weekender, a great fishing platform, and perfect cruiser.
We do have a cockpit bimini that we have never used. Canvas is sand color. All other canvas is black.

The not-so-good news. – There is no built in air conditioning. Included in the sale is a Cruisair 5000 carry-on and although not as elegant as built-in it works well.

Interior was completely reupholstered in 2006 and still shows very well. Bolsters / combing pads were replaced in 2012. Seats and engine box pad are in good condition.

The black hullsides were wet sanded a few years ago and are still holding up well.

Lowrance LCX-111c GPS / Sounder / Radar with 10.4” display and Raymarine ST 6002 auto-pilot. Includes VHF marine radio.
Includes live well with pump, large fish box, transom shower, sea water wash-down, and Vetus bow thruster.
Remote spotlight
Auto bilge pumps (2)
Whale manual bilge pump
Engine is Peninsular 6.2 liter, 400 TA / 300 HP diesel model 52S12073 with 1270 hours. (Original tach w/ hour meter was replaced at 1190 hours for cosmetic reasons only. It is still operable, I still have it and the marina will attest that the boat was not run without a working tach and hour meter).
Cruise comfortably at 17-18 (2700 RPM) knots and WOT (3500 RPM) is 24-26.
Fuel – 132 gallons, Water – 36 gallons
LOA: 28’ 4” LOA w/ pulpit: 29’11”
Beam 9’9” Draft 3’2”
Air Draft 7’9” (convertible version)
Weight – 7500 pounds.
Odyssey Batteries (2 starting, 1 house) purchased 2013.
30 amp shore power
Xantrex 2000 2.0 inverter/charger
Generator - Honda 2000
Nibral 3 blade prop
Maxwell windlass
Microwave / AM/FM/CD
Glowmaster butane hotplate
Dual voltage refrigerator
Binder of all manuals and documentation

$39,000.

PM or email jcollins AT albinowners.com
Soundings magazine Used Boat Review - http://www.boats.com/reviews/boats/albi ... at-review/

Some photos below are from earlier years and are labeled as such. I will post engine and bilge as soon as possible. If there are any specific shots you would like to see, don’t hesitate to ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John
28 TE Convertible "Afterglow" is for sale

Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:34 am

John, good luck with the sale, hope you find that perfect 31!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

jcollins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:29 am

Carl wrote:John, good luck with the sale, hope you find that perfect 31!
Thanks Carl. It's out there. Time to start looking. I wouldn't turn down the right TE35 either.
John

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:45 am

John: Afterglow is a beautiful and rare boat. Surprised it has not sold, but it will.
whwells "Howard"

skipper
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: none

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Nice talking to you. We'll be down next weekend to take a look.

Kmaynes
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Wiscasset Me

Sat May 21, 2016 2:24 am

Is this still for sale?

jcollins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sun May 22, 2016 9:55 am

Kmaynes wrote:Is this still for sale?
Yes. After a very soggy and cool Spring it is just launched. Fresh bottom paint. zincs, oil change, and detail.
John

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:11 am

TTT & a Bump for a "Cool Ride" 8) and the man that we all a owe debt of gratitude to for conceiving this site and continuing its existence "to which it adds hard value to all of our boats".

With it's recently wet sanded shiny black hull, oyster topsides and newer upholstered interior, this is one good looking hull for the buyer that likes the wind in his hair and the option to "put the top up" and enjoy sometime out of the sun and to be able to run in foul weather. :wink:

Here's a link to Afterglow's story and what began an adventure that brought about the AOG Forum, lasting friendships and sharing of "Everything Albin". :D

http://www.soundingsonline.com/componen ... cle/225622
kevinS
"drinking rum before 10AM makes you a Pirate, not an Alcoholic"

~ 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Former boat ~
~ 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April / '04 ~ May / '13

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Pitou, thanks for the link which includes how AOG got started and the debt we all owe to John Collins. Amazing how it all started in Baltimore and look what it has grown into. A couple days ago I welcomed a newcomer from Holland! And I'm way off on Hood Canal with my first boat ever, an A25. Rarely a day goes by I don't check the site to see what else I need to know. Thank you jcollins. We are very grateful and deeply indebted to your efforts.
(Sorry if this is off topic, now sell the boat.)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:46 pm

Pitou wrote:...this is one good looking hull for the buyer that likes the wind in his hair and the option to "put the top up" and enjoy sometime out of the sun and to be able to run in foul weather...
More on that..see attched :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Clearly, I own the wrong boat. (A25)

jcollins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:12 am

Thank you jcollins. We are very grateful and deeply indebted to your efforts.
(Sorry if this is off topic, now sell the boat.)
Are you kidding? Compliments are never off topic. AOG was started just as much for me as anyone else. I never imagined how it would grow into the great group that it is. Sharon and I have met so many new friends over the years. And...still going.

But, you're right. It's time to sell this boat. I've seen a few nice 31's but I don't want to pull the trigger until AG is sold.

Thanks for all of your comments.
John

BrookeMarie
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mobile, Alabama

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Nice looking boat!

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 pm

John, I don't know if your Albin is still for sale but I wish you well selling and with your future endeavors. Your boat looks as beautiful as always, good luck! Thank you for making this site as important and interesting as a boating site could be. As a past Albin owner I still seek out their familiar form in every marina, harbor and river I happen to be. I still think they are the most beautiful boat out there.
Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

CTO203
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Guilford, CT

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 am

Is the boat still for sale?
Thx -
Thad