• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Trolling Performance?

Moderator: RobS

Chris & Dale

28TE Trolling Performance?

Post by Chris & Dale »

Have been out several times in the last month or so trolling for King, Dolphin, etc. I have a couple of questions on the 28TE's trolling performance.

1. How do you slow your boat down to about 1.5 knots when trolling live bait without having to constantly go in and out of gear?

2. Yesterday we were drifting and every time we took it out of gear the boat seemed to naturally turn to take the waves on the beam, which of course in 3-5' seas is a little bit on the rocky side. Is this normal?

I've been a blowboater for years and am used to the boat turning into the wind.

We did pull in a nice 20-25 Cobia which is in the freezer so it was worth being jostled around.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: 28TE Trolling Performance?

Post by DougSea »

Search for drift socks, there are several posts here.

And you could look to have a trolling valve fitted for a more elegant solution.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Re: 28TE Trolling Performance?

Post by AKDW »

any boat will turn beam to the wind if not at anchor or using a sea anchor.
Often people slow their boat for trolling by towing a sea anchor or sock. This are available at places like Cabelas. Other people make makeshift troll socks with a plastic bucket towed off the stern or one on each corner.

Return to “Fishing”