• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Express Trawler

laurkeithrawlings

Express Trawler

Post by laurkeithrawlings »

I believe that the air draft for the 36 Express Trawler is 11'10". 3.5 meters (11'6") is a critical height for clearance using Frnch Canal system. Is it easy to get the extra 4" off (Example: dismount FlyBridge rail and/or wind shield) ?
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would have to go measure, but I would think that the 11' probably includes the radar mast and maybe even the anchor light mast. If you can't get under the bridge by flipping the anchor light down, it's pretty easy to flip the radar mast down. The mast is hinged and secured by a plastic knob as well as two stainless bolts. You could remove the bolts and lock it into place with just the knob. I'd put the bolts in whenever the seas get rough, or rig a pulleyed stay that would both hold it in place when up, as well as allow you to raise and lower it with ease.

Obviously you'd also need to flip down any antennas. But I don't think you'd have any trouble getting that boat under an 11' bridge if you lowered that radar mast.

I'll try to go rustle up some pictures that might put it in perspective.
laurkeithrawlings

Post by laurkeithrawlings »

Logically, the radar mast would have to be taller than 11'. If salon floor is 1' above water line and headroom is 6'6" then minimum flybridge floor heigth is 7'6", a 4'4" person would be irradiated by radar if radar height was 11'10".
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

hmm...you make a very good point. Well, if the 11' height is to the top of the flybridge windscreen, then there's a whole lot of modification that has to happen to get it 6" lower. In order to transport our boat from California to Washington, we had to shave about 6" off the height. This necessitated removing the windscreen, along with the stainless railings all around the flybridge. The railings are integral to the flybridge ladder too, so that has to be partially disassembled as well. You'd have better luck by installing some sort of ballast tanks to make the boat float lower in the water. Bladder ballast tanks are common on small wakeboarding boats, but you'd be talking about a LOT of water and a LOT of weight to get a boat of that size to sink 6".

In my experience, the boat floats a good 4"+ lower in the water with a full complement of water, fuel and gear. 6" or more if you add in a large group of guests.

I think you need to actually physically measure the boat, as well as the bridge so you can determine for yourself how much clearance you'll have. Be sure to measure the boat when it's low on fuel and the water tanks are empty.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”