• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Freezer on 36ET

joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Freezer on 36ET

Post by joreyn »

Has anyone installed a freezer on a 36 Express Trawler? Brand? Where did you place it?
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
CarlMischka
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ice Maker

Post by CarlMischka »

We plan to replace our upper deck refgirerator with an icemaker/freezer over the winter. Until that is done we'll keep our Engel aboard...it worked at 12V and/or 120V through the Carib and Mexico for over 5 years. I believe it will be a easy (??) change out, one Norcold unit for another. I have also seen a 36 ET lying Tampa area which insulated, sealed and converted the aft straight settee (next to engine access hatch) into a freezer. Good luck,
I am the new owner of Albin 36FT Hull 127, moving her from Rose Haven, MD to New Bern, NC this weekend and would like to participate with your group. Thanks.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would like to convert the compartment under the cockpit seating on the starboard side into a refrigerator/freezer, but I also want to retain the ability to use it as a live-well. It seems to me like this could be done, but I haven't done either yet.

Right now, when I want to use it to store refreshments, I plug the drain, line the bottom with block ice, put in the pop/beer, and then pour crushed ice over the top. The problem with this is that the heat from the engine compartment melts the ice rather quickly.

When I want to use it as a livewell (usually for keeping my crab catch alive until I can clean it), I run a hose from the saltwater washdown in the anchor locker and just let it run until it fills and runs over the top into the scupper drain.

Neither is ideal, but they work for now.
TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Freezer on 36ET

Post by TheJudge »

I am certainly no authority since I am still trying to buy a 36, but the one that I looked at had a freezer on the flybridge on the starboard side between the front and rear facing single seats. It was factory installed. I was told that an icemaker usually went in this space. It is a Nova Kool 2.4 cubic foot freezer space and runs on AC/DC. I had never seen a boat that had the freezer so far from the galley and could not understand that a trawler could come without a freezer as basic eqipment. I was also concerned as to how the freezer will fair up on the flybridge in the 100 degree plus heat we will have in my part of the country?
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Post by Albinflorida »

We installed an electric freezer/refrigerator unit in the compartment to starboard of the engine room access lid in the cockpit seating. We were able to insulate it and it worked quite well.
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
afrayedknot
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Goose Pond Marina, Scottsboro, AL (TN River Mi 378)

Post by afrayedknot »

Albinflorida - Please advise the make and model of the unit you installed. Thanks.
Bob on "A Frayed Knot" 36ET
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Albinflorida »

Not sure, probably an Adler Barbour. 8 years ago. Insulation must be sprayed on the bottom of the tub. It is reachable from the inside of the engine room. We had it done by a marine refrigeration contractor and I would advise you to do the same. The link below will help. You are welcome to give me a call to discuss anytime. Doug Jenkins, Massey Yacht Sales, 941-504-0790

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/US ... ling-Kits/
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Ours has a liberal application of foam to the underside of the locker, but still melts ice at a surprising rate.
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Albinflorida »

By undersides I meant bottom, sides and inside lid. This particular unit uses a side mounted cold plate and works well, but is not intended for holding ice with out the refrigeration unit going.
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”