• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fresh water leaks aft saloon Keystone

CarlMischka
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fresh water leaks aft saloon Keystone

Post by CarlMischka »

Hi all, after a year of ownership I am more and more pleased with my choice of the 36ET. Now that we have the AC units working, have learned that the draft is definately (single CAT) more than 3'3" and have anchored out a bit I still have a rain induced leak that I can't trace the source of...the windowsill (upon which is mounted a SONY TV) under the opening aft window (centerline, between the doorway and the stairway to the bridge) is constantly wet after heavy rains, heavy wet rot in the cherry vaneer and needs to be replaced (after the leak is found and cured). No real trace of water behind the ecectrical panel, the trash receptical sometimes has wood stain colored water in it. It isn't coming from the mast or wiring through the aft flybridge locker. Does anyone know where to look next? I hate to take the horizontail trim piece molding off that covers the flybridge and house seam as it may just make the problem worse. The other leak, which is a slight one, is portside forward before the berth (queen, not V-berth configuration) starts...from the narrow hull-side shelf piece down the side and then under the highest of the two wood insert steps along the hull. Possibly need to rebed the stanchions? All sugggestions appreciated. Thanks from the Hilton Marina in New Bern with recent travels to Okracoke (back there in September, River Dunes (lovely spot on the Bay River) and regular trips to Oriental and just "out there". Thanks much for any suggestions. Carl
I am the new owner of Albin 36FT Hull 127, moving her from Rose Haven, MD to New Bern, NC this weekend and would like to participate with your group. Thanks.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fresh water leaks aft saloon Keystone

Post by Mariner »

We have the same leak below the rear window, resulting in the same damage. When we installed the bimini on the flybridge it stopped entirely, leading me to believe that it is in some way related to water pooling under the flybridge seating due to clogged drains.

It is imperative that these flybridge drains be kept clear, or that the flybridge be covered. Even just installing the bimini seems to have resolved ALL the leaks we were experiencing, and there were quite a few.
CarlMischka
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CarlMischka »

Cured, limber holes port side flybridge aft seat/locker and sealing of wiring stand pipe; sealed aft winder and salon to flybridge seam. Replaced rotted wood with starboard which looks fine under TV. Now to find small leak under forward port salon window which is effecting the very soft cherry wood there, and another forward cabin wall which may be coming through loose stanchion. 8" rain coastal North Carolina last week proved aft repairs, hope to find the other leaks through the winter and be able to report fixes then.
I am the new owner of Albin 36FT Hull 127, moving her from Rose Haven, MD to New Bern, NC this weekend and would like to participate with your group. Thanks.
pbirman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by pbirman »

There is a pipe, accessible through the circular port at the top of the bridge stairs, that allows wires to pass from the fly bridge to the main cabin. It has only a small lip (maybe 1/2 inch). In a heavy rain, water can slosh over the lip and into the aft part of the cabin. Solution: plug the whole pipe with foam in place foam. First, however, insert an piece of 3/4 inch plastic tubing that sticks up 4 or more inches so you have a way of running future wires through the pipe.

There is a similar pipe on the starboard side and it, too needs to be plugged with foam (also with a length of plastic tubing inserted). In my 36ET that would leak onto the stove in a heavy rain. With the foam in place they're now dry.

Paul
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Interestingly enough, we have the EXACT same problem with water damage below the forward port window now, that was NOT resolved by installing the bimini. I can only assume this is related to the window. Been trying to track it down, but haven't found it yet.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

After Essex & replacing the cap on strainer, noticed a bit of water down in bilge, Since cooling water was not coming out air conditioner pumps I suspected pump on line fittings, possibly head spray hose not visible under sink, pulled out 2 gallons, next day 3 gallons. After checking all a/c hoses & anything visible I decided to remove undersink cabinet, viola, the drain hose off sink had come off. Easy fix to tape & tighten up clamp. Dry now thankfully
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:...the drain hose off sink had come off. Easy fix to tape & tighten up clamp. Dry now thankfully
I thought it was gonna be waste water, it was kinda stinky down there when we were replacing that strainer cap. Good for you that it was a simple fix.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”