• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

33+3 WATER LEAKS

furma2n

33+3 WATER LEAKS

Post by furma2n »

I own hull # 110 of the 33+3 model. I am having trouble stopping rain water from collecting in the bilges during heavy rain. It collects in 3 areas: under the single engine, and in the 2 low areas outboard of the stringers on each side and under the swim platform. I have added gasketing to the hatch covers as they would overflow in heavy rain. I have also checked all the scupper hoses for leaks, and they all seem OK. Has anyone had this problem and found the solution??
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We have had the same problem. Where we found water entering the bilge was from the flybridge wiring and hose passages at the aft end of the flybridge, behind the inspection ports. If the drains that let water excape from under the lockers on the flybridge over the side become clogged, the water will pool in there and eventually go into those passages. The solution is to A, keep the drains clear, and B, seal up the passages so pooling water won't go in there. B can be done with expanding foam, while A is pretty self explanatory.
pbirman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by pbirman »

I also had the problem of water getting into the wiring duct at the aft starboard side of the bridge. It didn't collect in the bilge, though, but got into the cabinetry of the galley and collected on the stove top. I used expanding foam to seal it up, but first inserted a piece of 1" plastic hose (with the top well above the surface where the water collects) so I'd be able to run future wires.

My 33+3 had extensive leaks at each support of the SS railing. When it rained, you could see water dripping (no streaming) from each support. I had to go through the boat and caulk each rail column and around all the windows. I don't think the factory ever put any caulk in these places. I used a low viscousity rubber-like leak-seal product that is sold for this purpose. I don't remember the brand name but it is sold in a little bottle with a dispensing nozzle. It is water-like when it comes out of the bottle and gets into the fine crtacks and hardens up to seal them.

Paul
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Did Albin ever fix the water leak problem at the base of the mast under the seat?

I distinctly remember being at the Annapolis show some years ago when the 33+3 or 36 Fast Trawler ( forget the name at the time) introduced. It happened to be raining & I looked under the seat & found water draining from mast wiring down into the boat.

Besides the wiring being subject to being damaged by stuff in the seat compartment, the whole arrangement was just dumb. I'm picking on Albin in particular. I heard a story from a boatyard owner about a stringer coming loose in a big Eastbay. Sheesh! I mean that is Grand Banks, right? Yes GB did assume responsibility & pay full costs for the repair.

They all have their moments.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
pbirman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by pbirman »

Did Albin ever fix the water leak problem at the base of the mast under the seat?

I did not have any problem there.

Paul
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The mast attaches behind the seat on the cockpit roof, so there's no way it could leak there. The mast wiring goes into the back of the seat through a waterproof coupling and then goes over to the wiring tube we're discussing.

The problem, IMO, is that they did not decide to design the flybridge seating lockers with scuppers and drains. The hatches are in no way waterproof, and the flybridge drains INTO the lockers, which then, in turn, drain overboard. I've been contemplating making changes, but it would be hard to make the hatches waterproof after the fact. I think the intent was that the flybridge would always be covered when not in use. This is all well and good, except that the canvas cover we got with our boat, pools hundreds of gallons of rainwater and is capable of capsizing the boat if left unattended. After than happened twice, we simply removed it from the boat and never intend to use it again.
Balboita
Mate
Mate

Post by Balboita »

I know I'm a bit late on this topic but I think it is a good one. The 36' boats have a lot of usable deck space which was made possible by using trouble prone scuppers. I think they work fairly well.

I had a similar mystery intrusion on the port side in the engine room. What I finally found was that the scupper fitting was cracked all the way around. The factory used standard thru hull PVC fittings and drilled small holes to insert the SS roll pins to keep large trash from going down the drain. Not a bad idea but in this case it weakened the fitting and it cracked around the line of toe holes. It was easy to replace and fixed the problem.

It is hard to see the crack. I suggest giving the fitting a good tug from below to see if it is ok.
pbirman
First Mate
First Mate

cracked deck drains

Post by pbirman »

My deck drains are cracked too. My yard tried and failed to find a replacement. Can you share where you bought new ones (and how in heck did you manage to get the old ones out)? My cracked one is midships, starboard side, where the step is. I've temporarily caulked it so it doesn't leak.

Paul
Balboita
Mate
Mate

Post by Balboita »

My repair was to the one aft which is much easier access. If it is cracked I'll bet it is the same problem. The pins are above the nut so if you put a block on the pins and give it a whack it will probably come out easily. That way you don't have to mess with unscrewing it.

FIRST..have a new one on hand. It is an odd size. As I recall it is a 2" drain and reduces to 1 1/2". I couldn't find one so I used a good 2" pvc thru hull and one of those thick rubber plumbing adapters you can purchase in the plumbing dept. of most hardware stores. The new one is stronger than the old one. It looks good however I did not redrill the pins. It is easy take apart if something gets stuck in it.

My guess is they cracked when installed due to tightening the nut too much.

I havent looked at the access to the one in the step but it must be harder to get to.

good luck.
Balboita
Mate
Mate

Post by Balboita »

Jack,

The fitting was Maralon , not PVC. You will probably have to go to a commerical supplier as it is larger than typical dealers carry. I found one on the internet.. I do not know this supplier.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=39423F

Mike

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”