• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

5' 3' draft problems?

TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

5' 3' draft problems?

Post by TheJudge »

I am curious as to whether anyone has any practical experience with the limitations of the 5' 3" draft on a 36 ET. Naturally I understand that one is limited as too the places you can go but I was wondering if anyone had traveled the Great Loop or sections thereof and had problems as compared to vessels of a more normal 3' draft.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 5' 3' draft problems?

Post by Mariner »

We have the single. Up here, a 5' draft is not a problem at all. In fact, that's considered a low draft vessel by my standards.
TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TheJudge »

I am not familiar with boating on the west coast but in Forida and on the Great Loop there are many places where I believe this could be problematic.
Last edited by TheJudge on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Best info would be on one of the Loop forums but many of those folks are useing 40' plus trawlers so I doubt if 5' draft is much of an issue.

Air draft will be something to check on too on some of the waterways. I was looking at the Trent Severn in Ontario. Think the limit there was about 17'.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

17' should not be a problem. Might have to drop the radar mast when you go under, but that's about it. I'm not sure what the air draft is, but it's definitely less than 17' with the mast down. Fortunately, the mast is quick and easy to drop.
TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TheJudge »

Well unfortunately the boat we are buying has clearance problems both top and bottom. In addition to the 5' 3" draft there is a fiberglass hardtop over the flybridge with the radar on top of that. There is no factory radar mast on this one though the mounting plate is there. My best guess at air clearance is 17-18 feet.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

17 to 18 feet air draft is not a problem.
5 plus water draft will limit you but doable.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”