• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Slapping Noise at Anchor - Express Trawler

PeterEdwards
Swabby
Swabby

Slapping Noise at Anchor - Express Trawler

Post by PeterEdwards »

I am a recent owner of a 2002 Express Trawler. We have quickly found that the design of the semi displacement hull with the chines near the bow cause a most noticeable loud slapping noise at anchor or on a mooring. Waves will not flow off the bow but get trapped in the chines that go from the just aft of the bow until 5' or so until it then flows into the hull. We find this noise very sleep unfriendly. I have an idea for dealing with this and if it works I will post my results, but what have other owners done to rectify this? Most tell me to "live with it". I am trying to tell my girlfriend this in a less obtuse manner.
Brandy1937
Mate
Mate

Re: Slapping Noise at Anchor - Express Trawler

Post by Brandy1937 »

I had the same experience with my 31TE. I tried swiming pool noodles (floats) tied together all the way around the bow. No results. Perhaps something a little heaver that floats to absorb the wave action like an oil boom.
The only other thing I thought about doing would be to blend where the hard chine meets the water line. This would mean a fiberglass job which would be very expensive and might destroy the value of your boat.
Good luck and let me know if you find a remidy.
Regards
Brandy 1937
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I have seen rectangular pads with lines at the corners for rigging under sailboat transoms to stop the slap. You could rig a similar pad up under the bow but it would need to be pretty big. Why not try to add some sound deadening to the inside of the hull?
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I have seen rectangular pads with lines at the corners for rigging under sailboat transoms to stop the slap. You could rig a similar pad up under the bow but it would need to be pretty big. Why not try to add some sound deadening to the inside of the hull?
Balboita
Mate
Mate

Post by Balboita »

I talked to the owner of a newer 37’ Nordic tug today and he said that they have a similar problem. The hard chine goes back further on their boat which makes the noise worse. I have noticed that several of the fast trawlers have this common annoyance.

When I sit in the tender and look at our boat (36' Express trawler) at anchor it seems that some of the “slap” comes from the boat going up and down on the (chain) rode. I have played with normally anchoring the boat then placing a regular chain hook on the anchor chine and put two long dock lines from the hook back to the side cleats. I then let out more anchor chain to load the lines. It dampened the “bobing” of the bow and reduced the noise considerably. I can also adjust the lines to help reduce the conflict between the current and the wind which causes the bow to hunt around.

I am leaving soon for a long cruise and will try to determine how effective this method is.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

This noise bothered me for about the first two nights. Now I don't even notice it anymore. In a windy anchorage, I do have a probem with the chain pulling in and out of the channel in the center of the bow roller as the boat swings. This can be easily solved by hooking the chain and running a line up to the bow cleats to take the tension off the bow roller, which we should really be doing anyway.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Most tell me to "live with it". I am trying to tell my girlfriend this in a less obtuse manner.
Anything new is more noticable. The first few nights at anchor I couldn't sleep either. Now, if it's too quiet I wake up. Telling her to live with it can be taken as harsh. How about, it's all part of the charm and experience of anchoring out.
My previous boat had an aft-cabin. The fuel tank was behind the bed. The fuel sloshing back and forth was irritating.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”