• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Our 40 NCS at home at last

tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Our 40 NCS at home at last

Post by tomcat »

We headed down to Cos Cob, CT. on Mother's Day with the hopes of starting our journey home in the coming days. The wind was howling Sunday, so we stayed put. Monday a.m we were able to head out to Long Island Sound with Captain Mihran for an official sea trial and lesson on running twins, as our last boat was a single screw. After doing some trouble shooting (changing fuel filters, bleeding lines, steering fluid in both reservoirs, as both were dry as a bone) we ventured off. All went well He was with us most of the day and was a huge help. Tuesday morning arrived with bright sunshine and calm waters. We left as to hit high tide at Hell Gate which was about perfect. Brenda was at the helm the whole way down the East River, at 900rpms doing about 8 knots. First time for us in this part of the world. It was great! The sights just overwhelming.Got up close to Lady Liberty for the second time in a boat, as we had made it this far down the Hudson with our 24'er. Cruised 10 hours Tuesday before dropping the hook in Newburgh. Five hours on Wednesday brought us to Catskill Marina for an overnight. Another 5 hours on Thursday got us to Waterford, the gateway to the Champlain/Erie Canals where we spent two days. Saturday morning was breezy and if not for my brother joining us for the last leg, we would have stayed another day in Waterford. The locks can be tricky in the wind as we have traveled many times through them with a breeze. This was no exception. Lock 3 on the Champlain Canal is notorious for it tricks. Tried pulling up to the wall on the starboard side, and within seconds we were fighting just to keep her straight in the lock as the doors were closing. Ended up portside and hanging on for dear life as were elevated 16 feet! Made it through lock 4 without a hitch and traveled the last 15 miles to Blue Moon's new home in the Schuyler Yacht Basin. We figured 5gph at 1400 rpms going 9 knots. I didn't think that was too bad for 370's. All in all, the trip was good.
One problem we did have was in Waterford. I learned a valuable lesson when the engines didn't want to crank over....always keep tabs on the water in the batteries! 2 dry cells in battery 1...3 dry cells in batteries 2,3,and 4. A gallon and a half of distilled water works wonders!
A comfortable ride with all the comforts of home. The Misses was happy!
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Re: Our 40 NCS at home at last

Post by yhc »

Congratulations on bringing your Blue Moon home safely! Looking forward to hearing & sharing more info re: NSC.

Regards,

yhc
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Thanks for sharing your adventure, I do hope you waved as you passed Throggs Neck Bridge & Little Neck Bay, "Mahalo's" new home for the summer . I would love to make that trip one day
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Yong, how are things on the West coast? Floating northward? And zinbaad, I apologize for not waving, just over taken by the scenery! The trip up this way is a quieter one north of Newburgh. Things are more relaxed up this way. Come on up sometime!
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Post by yhc »

Not yet Tom...the plan is for my family and me to fly down to Tacoma and get the boat ready then start sailing northwardbound next week!
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

You must be getting excited! I know we were for the last week or two. Keep us in touch with your travels.
Sorry I can't help with the locking nuts. I hope that the threads aren't all bunged up. Things will all work out. If they did for us....believe me....it will for anybody!! It was a rough last week or two before the launch. Our broker, more or less abandoned us and we were left to do a few things on our own. We had some great help from the boat yard which eased the pressure a little bit. All will be good:)
Good luck.
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”