• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help on a 40 NSC

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Help on a 40 NSC

Post by RicM »

I am not a mechanic myself, but I would not worry about it now. If there is adequate coolant of the correct mix for your temperature zone then nothing bad will (most likely) happen. I would enquire more about the 2 engines "sharing" a heat exchanger on my return and start a new topic on this board about it with some pictures. There are some excellent mechanics who know a lot about Albins and diesels who will help you out. Failing that, the next step is boatdiesel.com. It is an excellent website all about, well, boat diesels. You have to pay to post but several of us belong and will be happy to post your problem if we can't solve it here. Go to FL, and enjoy!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I agree, a shared heat exchanger system is odd, but I have to be honest, I have my doubts. Believe it or not, I've seen quite a few "professional" mechanics who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

The simple fact is that the worlds best and brightest don't usually end up as mechanics. Those that do, however, are usually trained extremely well, especially those that end up workong on marine diesels. The end result is that they are typically people with a very in-depth, but also very narrow, understanding of the systems used on these complicated vessels. They often tend not to be able to see the "big picture". Often, they will will look at a pipe or hose and assume it serves one purpose, when in reality it serves another. They never take the time to step back and look at the entire system to understand how it all works together.

It's quite possible that you have a single raw water intake that serves both heat exchangers, but two seperate heat exchanger and recirculating coolant systems; one for each engine. This would certainly be unconventional, but not unheard of. The primary concern with such a system would be that it might cause one engine to run a little hotter than the other, depending on the design.
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Thanks for the input Ric (and the offer) and Mariner.Both engines run within 5 degrees of each other, even after running 11 straight hours. It sounds like maybe a topic, as suggested, would be the thing to do. Things have more or less been put on the back burner for the time being. Funny how snow in the air can make you think and do others that aren't boat related!
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Mariner, I am a professional automobile mechanic. Many of the mechanics I have known in my 30 year career are exceptionally intelligent and capable of of accomplishing work that most people wont even attempt. like any profession including physicians and attorneys some are better than others. I found your generalization on mechanics personally insulting.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
dvlyon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rock Hall, MD

Post by dvlyon »

I agree with Panhdjoe and his feelings regarding Mariner's post. I read the post last week and was blown away by the ignorance.
"Lyon's Pride"
2001 31 TE with Twin Yanmar 315's
Rock Hall, MD

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”