• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help on a 40 NSC

yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Re: Help on a 40 NSC

Post by yhc »

Craig, Tom,

Just FYI: On a recent trip on the boat I have noted the aft tank was over flowing through the vent. I had the aft tank filled to the top before the trip but it should not have spilled out of the vent. My guess is that one of the engine fuel output was plumbed so the fuel is being returned to the aft tank rather than one of the main tanks. I have not had a chance to trace the fuel output hoses yet but will be doing so in the near future. The problem was resolved by transferring some fuel from the aft tank to the main tanks for now.

Regards,

yhc
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

According to the drawings which I have there is no return to the rear tank, the only connection is to the fuel transfer pump. The genset is to draw and return to the starboard tank. Did you get the manuals and drawings with your boat? Happy to share if that helps? They are still working to get my gauges to operate, nice to have those site tubes!
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

I am back with another question, may not be the right people to ask with boats in Alaska and Vermont, it is an AC question. The air conditioning in the forward cabin is throwing out room air. The other 2 cabins are very cool. The dealer is still working on it and I am trying to help. The surveyor felt the problem might be the very narrow supply vents. When you look in those vents it appears that there is very little room. Have you guys had any problem cooling the forward cabin? We appear to have good water flow out the 2 discharge vents. We are a few weeks away from launch! Thanks,
Craig
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jerseyalbin wrote:I am back with another question, may not be the right people to ask with boats in Alaska and Vermont, it is an AC question. The air conditioning in the forward cabin is throwing out room air. The other 2 cabins are very cool. The dealer is still working on it and I am trying to help. The surveyor felt the problem might be the very narrow supply vents. When you look in those vents it appears that there is very little room. Have you guys had any problem cooling the forward cabin? We appear to have good water flow out the 2 discharge vents. We are a few weeks away from launch! Thanks,
Craig
Hey Craig,

Having just installed my own A/C I'm trying to understand "throwing out room air". If you have decent air volume but it's not chilled that would imply to me that the compressor may not be running. And the discharge water would have nothing to do with that directly, that just means the pump is running. Also, with 2 discharges you most likely have two completely seperate A/C units but may only have one large pump that T's off to both units. I'd locate the unit that feeds the forward cabin, probably under the v-berth but that's just a guess, and pull off the duct ring and see what's coming out of the unit. Is it set to cool? Silly question but the discharge could be fooling you into thinking it's set to cool.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Thanks Doug, actually there are 3 units fed by one pump, the main saloon and forward cabin seem to be connected together in terms of the drain. There are 2 overboard drains that both function as soon as any of the 3 units are on. I think you are right about the compressor will try to see if it is producing any cooling at the source. It is very accessible under the forward bunk. Thanks for the thoughts!!
Craig
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Hey there Craig! Glad all is working out for you. Got your message last week...just got back into town Friday and headed right to the boat for the weekend. It sounds like your questions about the AC are being answered. Our aft works well, unfortunatedly it gives off an a smell that I just can't place. I'm leaning towards a dirty filter...maybe? The salon ac is bone chilling cold! Three units and one pump is what we have.Have used the ac only once so far this year. There's great cross ventilation where we are with both sliders open.

As far as the fuel goes, we have only three tanks and three fill holes. Thanks for the heads up Yong...just filled up last weekend and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but I will keep an eye out.

I was just going over the contract for winter storage. This is all new to me. I was able to trailer home the 24'er we had before. I hate thinking about the winter months already!!!
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Post by yhc »

Craig,

Not much of A/C use up here in AK so I don't have much info about A/C units. In fact I am looking into installing Espar Airtronic diesel heater before the winter sets in...that should extend my boating season a bit.
jchappelear
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jchappelear »

I own a 2006 North sea cutter and never stop getting compliments on the boat.The 50 amp service is very adequate for the 3 AC units and I have never blown a breaker using it with all 3 Ac units on plus a coffee pot and toaster plus refigerator etc.Mine also has a 10KW generator which is more than adequate.Had some water in the fuel when I got the boat but it must have come from sitting almost empty since I had it polished I have put several thousand miles on the boat with no problems.The boat can take any weather and is a very solid ride.I have the 370 yanmars and they too are problem free .The only thing I do not love is the Radar mast which seems top heavey to me and I am replaceing it with an Atlantic Radar Arch for $3,000.
Gale force winds an 8 to 10 ft seas no problem :D
John chappelear 40 North Sea Cutter owner
jchappelear
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jchappelear »

Regarding the AC My N S Cutter is in Virginia and even on the hottest days it cools beautifully so it is not the vent size.
John chappelear 40 North Sea Cutter owner
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Thanks guys for the input on the AC problem the dealer finally found it after putting in a new thru hull and improving the water flow, they brought in an AC company and it was a wiring problem on the unit. As you suggested blowing air around usually means it is not turning on the compressor. We were on her this weekend and we found the heating to be terrific, that problem is solved. We are down to a list of about 4-5 things that need to be fixed before we go from RI to our home in NJ.
The generator is acting up and only has 30 hours , aft toilet is not operational and the fuel and water gauges ( except the rear fuel tank) will not operate.
Glad to hear how much you like your boat and how much you have used it! My 370 Yanmars now have about 42 hours.
I do have one other question, my trim tabs operate but they do not seem to be big or strong enough to do anything to this boat? Do you get anything out of yours? In a head sea at 1500 or 2000 RPM the bow needed to come up and the only way to do it was increase the speed. We were getting sprayed on the bridge until I increased speed and moved the bow wave further aft. Any comments?
Hope not to see those 8-10 footers but good to know how well it does!
Craig
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Glad to hear things are in a forward motion. The list seems to always grow shorter...then once you think you've caught up...it starts all over again!!

Took the weekend and headed down river to Coeymans to have the boat hauled and winterized...such a sad time of the year :( . Hey, just 7 more months and I'll be back on the water!!
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jerseyalbin wrote:
I do have one other question, my trim tabs operate but they do not seem to be big or strong enough to do anything to this boat? Do you get anything out of yours? In a head sea at 1500 or 2000 RPM the bow needed to come up and the only way to do it was increase the speed. We were getting sprayed on the bridge until I increased speed and moved the bow wave further aft. Any comments?
Trim tabs aren't going to be able to raise your bow, they function to push up on the stern and bring the opposite bow down. The fact that the button says "bow up" would seem confusing...but this is used only after you've pushed "bow down" and now want to back off. They're great for leveling a boat side to side and can sometimes help with bow rise as you get up on plane, but they can't lift anything.

The Bennett website should have more info on their use and how the function. Hope that helps a bit.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Yes I understand what you mean Doug, it does say Bow Down but not bow up as I implied. I have a asimple mind and if you tell me one side is down then the other is up for me! I did find on my 28 I could get some changes out of them and they were very useful. The NS 40 at 13 tons has tabs that are about 4-5 feet long and although they move, I can see them at the dock, there is virtually no effect from them. We tried them on the seatrial with our surveyor on board and none of us could see any effect. I guess it is just too heavy. This boat does not plane. Mr Chapplear from VA says he has run in 50 knots and 8-10 footers , sounds pretty good to me. I have not seen over 25 knots in the last few weeks I have owned the 40.
Thanks
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The trim tabs will not do much until you get to the upper speed range. Get to your "high cruise" speed on a calm day with both tabs in the "up" position. Holding course, press bow down on one side only and hold for 5 sec. The boat should rock gently to that side, maybe 1-2 degrees. Now do the same on the other side. The boat should gently return to equilibrium, but with the bow slightly lower. The effect will not be dramatic, but it will be there. Always do one side at a time or you may blow the breaker (it does on the 28TE anyway). Always remember to return them to the "up" position, as barnacles will grow on the extended hydraulic shafts. The barnacles will then rip up the rubber seals next time you retract. How much longer are you in RI? We are in Wickford and would love to buy you a milkshake and see your boat. If you are looking for 50kt and 8-10 foot seas it looks like you may get a shot on Thursday-Friday of this week.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Thanks Ric I remember you and your wife from Essex 2009, we were on our 28 then. I also make sure I put the tabs up when I dock so it does not effect backing up!
We are not coming up this weekend due to the weather so we will not be tempted to venture out in those seas. We have been up for the last month on weekends working and then trying everything out that needed to be tweaked before we took off. Have had her out several times on some nice weekends, ran great. We are down to a short list but it is getting difficult to get things done due to the exodus of boats too. We spent a few nights on the boat and used everything, which was good. Generator is in the process of being repaired (30 hours), throttle sticks and head that does not flush. Eastern Yachts has done tons of things for us. I am hoping to get the rest done in the next week and look for 2 good days in a row to head to NJ. We are thrilled and would love to show you our boat, I will send you a PM on our plans as they come together. We are at NEB in Portsmouth.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”