• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

I own Albin North Sea Cutter, Hull #11, Kindred Spirit

stevefrankel

I own Albin North Sea Cutter, Hull #11, Kindred Spirit

Post by stevefrankel »

I'm the original owner; it was "splashed" from a freighter into Long Beach Harbor about a year ago. I bought it very well equipped: bow and stern thrusters, twin 370 Yanmars, twin Raymarine E systems, cellular amplifier, higher railings around the stern deck, etc. The dealer was D'Anna Yachts in Oakland, CA.

I have about 60 hours on it and it's been virtually trouble-free. Performance is as promised: 17-19 knots high speed cruise (2500-2800 rpm), 23 knots top (3300 rpm), 9-12 knots economy cruise (1500-2000 rpm). Very well balanced, well behaved, and can take a lot more than I can in heavy weather. In 30 knot winds with 4-8' seas hitting broadside while running off the Palos Verdes Peninsula, it got a bit wet on top and had to be hand steered, but the engine, tracking and vessel never faltered. In calm seas, it's a quiet, stable and wonderful ride.

I also use the boat as my office for my 1-person consulting practice. The aft cabin works out wonderfully for this purpose; it's now equipped with a full-time computer setup that includes a 20" LCD monitor attached to the table, a 32" LCD attached to a Direct TV dish, files, shredder, etc. In the forward cabin there's plenty of room for living for several weeks, the bathtub makes a neat wet locker, and there seems to be never-ending storage.

At $200,000-$400,000 LESS than comparable Sabreliners and Grand Banks this vessel is a screaming bargain. The finish is at least B+ and the quality of the components is A.

The only real pains have been adding the wiring for the DirectTV system which goes to the fore and aft cabins, which required more than 10 hours to install; and having to replace the two lock sets on the sliding doors due to the yard using cheap hardware that failed in a matter of months. To add insult to injury, the locks were unobtainable in the US, including through Albin, so a craftsman had to redo the door to accept new locksets.

However, except for these two incidents which cost about $2K to fix, and even more minor problems such as stickiness in the throttle controls, no other problems in the first year. That's much better than any other of my new boats have been!

Also, the boat's appearance, design and finish is a standout, even though I'm in the California Yacht Club with several movie stars' and studio owners' boats nearby; and if the vessel can impress in this venue, it can impress anywhere in the world!

If any of you want any information on the 40 North Sea Cutter, don't hesitate to ask. If any of you are planning to buy, I can give you detailed suggestions about what you want to yard to change before taking delivery.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Excellent input! We've been looking for some first hand experience from 40' owners. Keep us updated on the boat as time goes by.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Steve,
Welcome to the board. Any chance of seeing our burgee flying on that boat?
There has been quite a bit of discussion about the 40. Thanks for the information and keep us posted. Post some pictures if you get a chance.
By the way...any relation to the Maryland Frankels?

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jchappelear
Gold Member
Gold Member

north sea cutter

Post by jchappelear »

I am purchasing a 2006 north sea cutter with 370 Yanmars does anyone know what the fuel burn on this boat is at cruise and what the optimal cruise is??
John chappelear 40 North Sea Cutter owner
George Fleming
Swabby
Swabby

40 North Sea Cutter Fuel Usage

Post by George Fleming »

John,
Welcome to the group. I own a 40 NSC and like it greatley. There is a review of the boat by Power @ Motot Yact by captain Bill Pike that includes a fuel usage chart that will help you to estimate your fuel usage.
The internet address for the review is www.powerandmotoryacht.com/boattests/1105albin40.

Give me some additional info.
What will be your home port?
What will you name her?
Can you attend the Albin raft up in Essex next year?

Best of luck with the new boat, if I can help in any way by sharing my fixes to the boat let me know.

George Fleming... Morning's Light
Milford Ct.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”