• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Synchronizer

jerseyalbin

Synchronizer

Post by jerseyalbin »

I am starting to think spring, which is very creative here in NJ after we got 34 inches and 6 foot drifts of snow last week!
i was wondering if any of you Albin 40 or other twin engine Albins have added a synchronizer? I guess Glendenning has a solid device which is perfect for mechanical systems like the Yanmar. My mechanic said they run about $2500 and take about a day to put in.
Any one have one installed? Is the cost worth it?

Thanks,
Craig
Albin NSC 40
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Synchronizer

Post by RobS »

Craig,
I would recommend going to www.boatdiesel.com. I think you would find more experience there on your topic
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I agree with Rob. Plus I am a memeber of the Mainship owner's group in Yahoo, and there have been posts there regarding synchronizers as many of the newer Mainships have twin Yanmars. So if you don't get good info on boatdiesel, join the Mainship group (free) and do an archive search.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Thanks for the suggestions I will get on those sites and see what I can find!

Craig
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

I am on my third boat (Albin 35 with twin Cummins) with a Glendinning synchronizer and would not be without one. Yes, you can tune the twins by ear, but it does make life simpler, especially when your hearing gets worse after too many years with noisy engines! For cruising, I would only put an autopilot as more desirable.
SANDY FINK

Post by SANDY FINK »

Hi Jay, I have since bought a Mainship 430 aft cabin, very simular to your NSC40. She has Yanmar 440's withe the synchronizers. It makes life so much easier docking and away. You set the slave control and it controls both so effortlessly. Not sure on costs to install but payback well worth it.

Sandy Fink
Sand Dollar, MS430 :D
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Thanks Chuck and Sandy for your feedback , I think it sounds like a good plan. I have not heard any downside to the accurate synchronization of both engines mechanically.
We are getting ready for another snow storm so i should have some computer time!
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Craig, how did you make out? Anything ordered yet. I'm just looking to get my rudder indicator working properly!

18" Tuesday/night. Nice and fluffy!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Tom, have not done anything yet, we got another 6-8 inches too. It is also very cold, about 14 this morning, cool for NJ!! I hooked up a battery charger last weekend and all 5 batteries seem to be fine. I usually do this about once a month in cold weather.
The marina I use is closed till Feb, I will pursue it with them ,along with the other things to be done this year.
I know I still owe you some photocopies been a little busy etc. I will get them done soon.
Craig
Albin NSC 40
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

No worries Mate!!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”