• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windlass drop in anchor locker NSC 40

jerseyalbin

Windlass drop in anchor locker NSC 40

Post by jerseyalbin »

I am having an issue retrieving the anchor and rode, the Muir windlass is great but the rake of the bow is getting in the way. There is a ledge and a cleat for the bitter end of the rode rode that attracts the chain (100 ft), and the rode. I have to stop and reach in to the locker to push it off the spot it is hanging up and continue on. It needs something to guide it past this ridge and cleat area. Has any one fixed this? I am thinking PVC pipe? Piece of metal? Marine Plywood?
Good news is we are in the water!!
Thanks, Craig
Albin NSC 40
Jerseyalbin
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Windlass drop in anchor locker NSC 40

Post by DougSea »

Hey Craig, glad you're all wet! ;)

From what you describe I'd consider a piece of plywood that forms a ramp for the chain/rode to slide over. Possibly two pieces (top and bottom) so you don't hang up on deployment either. Or eliminate the cleat, cover the ridge with plywood and put in an eye, off center, for the bitter end. It shouldn't need to be very strong, it's just there to keep the end of the line from going over the side, you certainly shouldn't be relying on it to secure the boat at anchor.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jerseyalbin

Re: Windlass drop in anchor locker NSC 40

Post by jerseyalbin »

Thanks Doug, was not around on 15th when you left NJ, stopped over and you were gone by Sat, assume you had a nice ride home?
I was thinking same thing, possibly securing it with Marine Tex and a few screws. Yes I understand the cleat purpose but it is a big closed one glassed in place that would be tough to move. Think I can work around it. I think the door is big enough to get a nice size piece in there , possibly 2. Any thoughts on securing it, not crazy about screwing to inside of hull, afraid I might go through!

Thanks for jumping in to help John!

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”