• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Saltwater head

JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Saltwater head

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

When the boat sits all week in our North Sea Cutter, in this heat, the salt water in heads gets a little funky. Do you guys still have salt water or did you go to fresh? I read several cautionary articles about e coli contamination possibilities when converting. Taping into the Pex line with a T connector seems fairly simple, but a check valve is certainly a necessity. Any advise on the conversion?

My interim solution was to keep a jug of fresh water in each head, turn off the salt water access seacock in the engine room, use the fresh water in jug to flush with. I have Jabsco electric heads, is this ok to do? Seems to work and stays cleaner, think it throws less into the holding tank too. May stay with this method if not causing any problems to the Jabsco pump etc.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Craig
JerseyNSC40
AlbinNSC40
Craig
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Saltwater head

Post by RobS »

The good think about the saltwater head is that you never have to worry about running out, but then again your NSC40 must hold considerably more FW than my 28. What about just doing your FW jug method prior to letting the boat sit.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The jug method will certainly work and won't frig up your pump.
That said, I changed both my heads to freshwater a few years ago and I have not looked back. Flushing takes so little water it is not much of a consideration. (We hold 220 gallons of FW)

For a conversion you need a solenoid valve AND a siphon break installed above the toilet inlet (18" I think).
You can google "Raritan Sea Era Head" and poke around and find thir installation instructions.
If you do theconversion get rebuild kits for your electric pumps. Take them apart and remove the water impeller and block off the no longer needed seawater ports (I used 1/8 inch NPT plugs). Now you will have an almost silent flush.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:We hold 220 gallons of FW
Wow, that's more than my fuel, water and waste combined.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Yes we are at 200 gallons of fresh water too, so that the jug method is not a bad plan. I also do have the option of going direct overboard from both heads when we are off shore.
the idea of doing it at the end of weekend or on a trip is a good one, think I will run with that for now. IF I decode to make the change I will come back to you Mr Leonard for advice.
Thanks Attitude Adjustment we plan to be in Mystic Seaport at the end of August will look for you, love that ride up the Mystic River.
Craig
AlbinNSC40
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there Craig! Upper Hudson River....hmmmmm....yep, no salt water here! We used to use the jug of fresh water with our other boat when we would leave for the week. Even river water gets a little scanky after sitting a while. Now, Brenda usually gives it a good flushing and then puts in a little liquid deodorizer to keep it fresh and sweet smelling ;)!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Good to hear from you Tom, that sounds like a good plan a little freshwater and some smell good stuff. How are things on the Upper Hudson, thought about you the other day when I used my pen! i hope the smell I noticed was not anything you were sending down river!

We are heading up to New England in a few weeks for about 10 days, any plans to come down river?
AlbinNSC40
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

The house is on the market. We're hoping it sells so we can be heading south by November 1st. Other then that, we're sticking around the area and day cruising along with the occasional dropping of the hook for an overnight.
A nice cruise Friday night. Full moon with a meteor shower going on....just fantastic.
Glad to hear you're using the pen! Have a good time cruising New England. I bet that will be a blast! Keep us posted
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”