• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

40 NSC: water tankage help

ws1047
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Longboat Key, FL

40 NSC: water tankage help

Post by ws1047 »

As brand new nower, am trying to understand water tankage and flow. I see four tanks in owners manual. When full, does water flow equally from all? I am experiencing about a 3-5 degreee list to starboard, and wondering if my port tanks are less than full. Very slow going to fill port tanks, as opposed to starboard, tho water appears topped off at fill port. Also assuming I leave both valves open on port/starboard tanks, allowing flow from each into feeder line. Manual seems to be no help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Re: 40 NSC: water tankage help

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there ws1047,

You may find that there are a lot of things about the 40NSC that might be unknown! We'll start with your water problem.
IF yours is like ours, you have 4 tanks. The smaller tank is on top of the larger tank. There is a set on both sides in the aft lazzeret compartment. When filling the tanks you'll find that they fill rather quickly, but your gauges are not reading full. What hasppens is the water filling process is faster then the water distibution into the lower tanks. The long of the short is the top tanks fill faster then the lower tanks can take. Is this making any sense to you?? The lines going into the larger holding tanks from the smaller upper tanks are not keeping up with the volume being put into the smaller upper tanks from your water source. It's a volume thing.
I find that the slower you fill the tanks, the better off you are. When mine are a quarter full, it can take an hour, at least, to fill at a slow pace. And if one side fills up, I will go to the other side and start filling and then back to the other to top it off.

Mine are plumbed together, but it is faster to do both at the same time if possible. I have found that if we get down to a half a tank, we'll fill up. And right now\, we're going through a lot of water, so it's not getting a chance to get stale.

I hope that this helps just a little bit. I was finding myself getting confused trying to explain it!

Enjoying a beautiful evening in Coinjock, NC, getting ready to continue our voyage to the sunny south.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask or send me a pm.

Good luck, Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

OH, and as far as the listin goes, stand back and take a look at the layout of the boat. Starting in the forward cabin, starboard side, all the way to the aft cabin.You have the head, next, lower helm station, sink, oven, stove,freezer, fridge, aft head, water tanks....all on one side....lots of weight! We have tried to counter that problem with lots and lots of liquid on the port side under the sitting areas in the salon and the aft cabin. It has seem to help.

JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Wow Tom you hit it all, I had the same initial list concern and thought fuel or water was out of balance. Not so, it is all the gear, I guess I list about 1- 2 inches to starboard and it never really changes until you run, then you balance out just fine.
IN total you should have about 200 gallons ,my gauges register but are not too accurate below about half full. If I am not traveling I carry light loads of water to help fuel economy.

Nice to have another 40 around, what is your hull number Swabby? They are great boats, I put some hours on in some nasty post hurricane weather this year and we were very comfortable!!
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Very happy with the performance. ws1047, where did you purchase your 40? Down south or up this way? Keep the questions coming and we 40NSC owners will try and help you out.

ws1047
Mate
Mate

Post by ws1047 »

Tom,

Many thanks for your thoughts/observations. I noticed that the water fill rate was quite slow and your comments have confirmed my suspicions. Seems an odd set-up, but I guess we're stuck with it. Another question: do you leave both valves from the "big" tanks open at same time? I thought maybe that would cause them to empty at the same rate, and perhaps address the listing a bit. Now plan to spend some time crawling the bilge to see what turns up that might be affecting list as well.

Re. your question as to where we purchased our Cutter, it was in Punta Gorda, FL. Our broker discovered it at his yacht club down there. Now it sits at Longboat Key.

Regards,

Whit
ws1047
Mate
Mate

Post by ws1047 »

JerseyNSC40 wrote:Wow Tom you hit it all, I had the same initial list concern and thought fuel or water was out of balance. Not so, it is all the gear, I guess I list about 1- 2 inches to starboard and it never really changes until you run, then you balance out just fine.
IN total you should have about 200 gallons ,my gauges register but are not too accurate below about half full. If I am not traveling I carry light loads of water to help fuel economy.

Nice to have another 40 around, what is your hull number Swabby? They are great boats, I put some hours on in some nasty post hurricane weather this year and we were very comfortable!!
Craig
Craig,

Thank you too for your thoughts. Haven't got my hull number at my fingertips, but it is an 06 model. Looking forward to getting to know her better. Appreciate your support.

Whit
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

I believe Tom is hull #1,. I am 007 and a friend in Rhode Island has #3(?).
I have a pretty complete manual with drawings of all the systems and electric, the build does not always follow but if it helps you I would be happy to get you some copies.
Crawling around is a good plan there is alot down there but it is pretty solid, with an occasional puzzle.
Mine is a 2006 also so your hull # must be close.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions, I had a very thorough survey which helped alot.

Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Yep, mine is hull # 1. And once again Craig, many thanks for the drawings, info about the boat. It has helped quite a bit!

Sitting here in Wrightsville Beach enjoying the 80 degree temps!

ws1047
Mate
Mate

Post by ws1047 »

Another 40 NSC question from a new owner. This has stumped me and my mechanic and am wondering if anyone has 1) encountered the same issue, and 2) might have a suggestion: How does one "get to" the "port engine lower after-cooler zinc?" Certainly we've located it, but can't figure a way for a human being to get around the side of that engine to change it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also... we can't find stern flag pole for our vessel, and West Marine has nothing that will fit. They suggested it must be original equipment. Our bow pole, for a club burgee for instance, is stainless steel, with the pole as the female component. Anyone know how to find a stern pole, same configuration?

As always, many thanks,

Whit
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there Whit!
Wish I could help you. Have not even looked for the zincs and as far as the stern flag pole, mine is molded in with the railing as is the bow pole. We were able to pick up a small stainless steel flag pole that we mounted to our Bimini framework for another little flag. That was a West Marine purchase.

ws1047
Mate
Mate

Post by ws1047 »

Thanks for the reply. I should have noted that the engine in question is a Cummins 6BTA 5.9, in case anyone has an idea or two. As for the flag pole, we'll just have to keep looking. the joys of ownership...

Whit
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Whit unfortunately the stern flag is a custom fit, we have a male component on the stern rail and the flag pole threads right on to it. I am not sure what you could do other than to try the bow flag holder and see if the threads are the same and have someone custom a pole?

Regarding the zincs I have Yanmars and it is a challenge getting to the outboard ones but I have been able to change all 4. I know all these 40' s are a little different but mine has rather nice looking perforated panels lining the engine room. They hide fuel tanks and gray water tanks, etc. I am guessing it is the port engine, as the starboard engine has an easily removable floor panel which would buy you a little more room. They are installed with screws that go into supporting "studs", I am wondering if you were to remove these would it give you any more room to go after that zinc. I permanently removed some of them as I want to see and have routine access to the raw water strainers, etc which were buried. The only other thing you could try is to lay on the engine top and use a mirror??

Good luck!!
Craig

i
AlbinNSC40
Craig
ws1047
Mate
Mate

Post by ws1047 »

Another question from a new owner:

My fuel and water gauges are nonfunctioning. Have confirmed that sender on center fuel tank is shot, so can replace that. However, I and my electrician are trying to figure out how to begin to get to the senders on the remaining fuel/water tanks. Have located senders on water tanks, but would have to drill access holes in aft cockpit to get at them to even test them. Not sure I want to do that. No clue as to fuel tanks (thank God for the sight gauges, anyway). Anyone have any experience/suggestions?

Thanks,

Whit
NSC 40 "Cadence"
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Seems though we have access in the aft stateroom through the hatch under the steps. Can't confirm that right now because we are visiting our daughter and we are away from the boat. When I get back to the boat and when I REMEMBER I will look into this a little further for you. That's all I can come up with right now.

Hope you are having a Merry Christmas!

Tom

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”