• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel consumption 36 ET turbo vs non turbo

alwsail
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Groton, Ct

Fuel consumption 36 ET turbo vs non turbo

Post by alwsail »

I am looking at two 36 ET's, one with the 420 Cat. and the other with the 450 Cummins. I plan on using this boat as a true trawler except to speed up once in awhile to clean out the engine. So I plan on cruising at 1400rpm doing 7.3 knots at about 4 gph according to the great fuel log Mariner did. My question, is there an advantage to the turbo for fuel consumption or is it going to be a problem at 7.3 knot over a long period.
Thanks
Al
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: Fuel consumption 36 ET turbo vs non turbo

Post by joreyn »

Al, at 1400 rpm the turbo is not a factor. With my twin cats, the turbo kicks in around 2000, and is most noticeable above 2200.

I mostly cruise the way you describe. Every so often I find myself in a situation where I need the speed. The turbo makes a big difference when that happens.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

It's pretty important that you get the RPM up more than "once in a while to clean out the engine". Any diesel engine (especially one with a turbo) should be run at near wide-open at least a few minutes every time you turn it on, preferably near the end of your voyage, but with enough time to cool off before shut-down. That isn't always possible, due to no-wake zones and whatnot, but you should make an effort whenever possible. The turbo actually improves fuel efficiency at high RPM, but will hurt it at idle (compared to an engine without a turbo). But, the 3126B is a pretty fuel-efficient engine at displacement speeds. My fuel consumption graph for Nordvika is floating around the board. That is based on some pretty detailed monitoring, and has held true over time.
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

I don't know about running it at WOT. I do plan on running mine at 80% power for the last 20-30 minutes of the day to clear out the carbon and heat up the engine and the oil to cook of any water or other contaminates.

I have the 6BTA (270s) and they are rated to run at WOT for only 1 hour out of every 8 hours. That tells me Cummins doesn't want them at WOT unless I am outrunning the Canadian Navy or pirates in the Salish Sea (insert sarcasm) .
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

It's good to run them up to WOT periodically to verify your hitting your WOT target rpm and all is well.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”