• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Marita II

AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, Alaska

Marita II

Post by AK_Albin36 »

Anyone know the story? Stumbled upon it this weekend. She is (was) hull number 6, built in 1999, 6 months old, twin screw.
Sank in Chesapeake Bay on Sept 24, 1999 with her two owners aboard - okay after spending 10 minutes in the water.
Found some court documents and an article in the local paper online. Owners tried to sue Albin and either failed to collect, or settled.
Best I can tell she took on water while running in 3-4 footers, sinking quickly by the stern. No time to get into the dinghy.

Obviously an isolated problem, but I am interested to know more of the story if anyone has the details.
2004 Albin 36 ET "EvenTide"
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Marita II

Post by Mark Deeser »

Looks like owners pettition for punitive damages against Albin was dismissed. Googled it, found quite a bit of information.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Marita II

Post by Carl »

I also found this, which I had wondered about.

"According to the records of the Secretary of the State of Connecticut, Albin Manufacturing Corporation was dissolved on October 26, 2007"
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”