• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Aft port side window 1983 36 Albin

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Aft port side window 1983 36 Albin

Post by kjg1951 »

After a month of cruising the ICW I must find out where the leak is coming on both sides of the lower window, teak is now rotted and have to do a major repair oo maybe is just a simple fix. Has anyone replaced the window and how it was done and where the new window was ordered from. OR who in the oriental nc might be able to do the job for me,,, thank you
KJG
Oriental NC
Last edited by kjg1951 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Re: Aft port side window

Post by kjg1951 »

OBTW I have a 1983 36 albin and how was the teak around the window on the bulk head repaired?
dennisspain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle, Washington

Re: Aft port side window 1983 36 Albin

Post by dennisspain »

kjg
There really is no simple answer to your questions. Basically, these old windows were "sandwiched " between the teak frames utilizing gobs of black adhesive. Eventually all these windows leak with the corresponding damage to the teak veneer paneling. There is no easy fix. When you start to make the repair you will find that the damage is more extensive than it appears.
In theory you should be able to remove the bungs, back out the screws , and replace or reseal the window. Good luck with that! I had to split every frame to remove them.
General consensus is to make a total project of it and replace all four of the aft cabin windows and the one in the head with modern aluminum frame windows so they all match. It is impossible to remove the teak frames and not destroy them in the process. And to most owners replacing only the currently leaking window looks weird and ignores the reality that eventually all these windows are leaking or will leak.
What I did was to remove the old ones. Repair the damage with epoxy. Make exact templates of each of the openings and send them to a replacement window outfit. It took me 8 weeks to get the new windows in winter. Putting the new ones in was a snap. Time? Working by myself two days to take out the old ones; two days to repair the damage and one day ( with a helper) to to put the new ones in. Tools: a multi tool, hammer & chisel, 2 small pry bars. Cost in 2016: $1800 for the new windows, $300 for replacement veneer, plus $200 epoxy and caulk. Degree of difficulty 6/10 compared other boat projects.
If you would like to talk it through, send me your # and a good time to call via text to 707-333-5010 and I'll call you.
Dennis
Journey
1982 36' DC
An endless restoration project
Olympia Washington
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Hello, I just saw you post after posting my question on the same topic, Who made your windows?
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
dennisspain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle, Washington

Post by dennisspain »

Peninsula Glass in Vancouver WA. 360-944-4446.
Highly recommended
Only negative is the 12week plus wait, templates to delivery.
Journey
1982 36' DC
An endless restoration project
Olympia Washington
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Window project finished! After removing my aft cabin port side sliding window, the only reusable pieces were the teak trim inner and outer, I was able to remove them without breaking them with a heat gun, putty knife and various prying instruments. I would not guarantee it could always be done successfully. After looking at my options and asking around I found a guy who worked at Hatteras refurb shop for 10 years and does work around our marina who rebuilt it back in original style. It looks good and has no leaks. I replaced all the damaged vernier below the window. Over all I am happy with the outcome. The track was expensive, the glass not so much. The overall cost for the whole job was about $900.00
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This is a long shot, but this 1981 Universal 36 boat listed with a brokerage in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island in Washington mentions similar issues & the work & cost needed to replace all side windows. Maybe you could contact these guys & ask about their source for windows? Are there any 1970s & '80s Taiwan trawlers out there that haven't had leaky windows?
Work Needed
The 5 windows in the aft cabin and aft head leaked, and should be replaced.
The two aft windows in the main salon leaked and should be replaced.
Replacement windows for aft cabin and aft main salon are approx $5,000.
Replacement involves cutting off teak trim on windows, removing window frames
Install new two part aluminum windows with wide trim to cover old teak frame area.

Whether it's Albin, Marine Trader, CHB, or any one of a number of Taiwan built trawler makes, they're all similar & have similar issues. His solution involved doing away with the teak window trim all together, as they had already removed teak decking & painted over all the other exterior teak brightwork.
universal36.jpg
I'm an Albin 25 guy, but lusting over these trawlers, Albin 36 included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “36/37/40/43”