• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bilge pumps

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Bilge pumps

Post by kjg1951 »

I have a 1983 36 albin. How many bilge pumps should I have , what kind and where should they be located.. thanks
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Bilge pumps

Post by rebuckley »

So - my 83 36 DC Trawler was new off the lot in Cos Cob, CT - in 83 - Albin put nothing on the boat aside from the bare essentials to run the boat - - and the bilge pump was not considered "essential". There should be a manual bilge (if it has not been removed) mounted under the sink - and a hose into the bilge with a brass strainer. The lowest point in the bilge is a small divot in front of the engine (usually under the where the aft tub drains to) typically this is where the main bilge pump would be located.. Now - your 83 may have had multiple changes - so you may have others? I have added 3 more - 1 forward under the forward cabin floor - as there is a stringer that will keep a small pool of water forward - so I pump over that stringer to the main bilge. I added a bilge pump in the lazarette - to pump out any leak the stuffing box (or rain through the hatch) that may accumulate. Finally I have a large "high water" pump rigged to an alarm - which is slightly above the divot for the main bilge. So if the main fails - this will kick in and send an alarm.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “36/37/40/43”