• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Painting the trim.

Mikecambrai
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Ramsgate, uk

Painting the trim.

Post by Mikecambrai »

I am in the process of painting my Albin 43. I would like advice on firstly the colour of the wide trim which goes around the flybridge.Looking at various photos on the net I can see that many are brown, some seem a sort of magenta and others have just painted white over this trim. The trim itself seems to be some sort of plastic rather than wood around 3 inches wide.. Easiest just to paint it white as it saves the difficulties of masking the edges of trim.
Similarly with the teak strips above the rear cabin window and above the small window in the forward structure. These are very difficult to mask and keep tidy. I am tempted to paint these white as well.
Any comments please?
Jim lanza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda

Re: Painting the trim.

Post by Jim lanza »

Mike,
Don't do it! I mean paint the teak, you'll eventually hate yourself, but even if that doesn't happen, the next owner will hate you. I speak from experience, our Albin 40, Encore was a little-loved 'condo' that the previous owner painted the teak around the windows white (also the teak around the running lights), I've just finished stripping the paint and sanding. BUT HERE"S THE SECRET! Australian Timber Oil. It looks better than varnish, and once it's sanded, you just brush it on. It looks fan-tas-tic! The teak in the photo was unloved for at least 5 years while berthed in Georgia. The sanding was done with 150 grit followed by lightly sanding with 220 grit. This was immediately followed by one coat of Australian Timber Oil, and a second coat the next day. The results speak for themselves.

Please don't paint the teak white!
Thanks,
Jim Lanza
M/V Encore
Albin 40 Sundeck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Mikecambrai
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Ramsgate, uk

Post by Mikecambrai »

Thanks for your input Jim. I will keep the trim as wood, but I still need to know what the colour of the wide trim around the Bridge should be? Looks like it too should be wood colour but I don't think that it is wood.
Jim lanza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda

Post by Jim lanza »

Mike,
I'm not sure exactly what the plastic trim you're speaking of...We have plastic trim with a rope insert that runs around the flybridge just below the wide teak trim. I painted it blue to match the canvas.

My email is vjameslanza@comcast.net if you would like to continue this conversation.
Jim Lanza
M/V Encore
Albin 40 Sundeck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Key2Cay
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

Post by Key2Cay »

Jim lanza wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:04 pm The sanding was done with 150 grit followed by lightly sanding with 220 grit. This was immediately followed by one coat of Australian Timber Oil, and a second coat the next day.
Jim -

I just saw your pictures of your railing you did with Australian Timber Oil. Do you recall what color you used?
Tom Brown
1987 Albin 36 "Key 2 Cay"
Hull #414
Oriental, NC

Return to “36/37/40/43”