• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 - Reference & Maintenance

cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Re: Molly, '79 Albin 36 - Reference & Maintenance

Post by cdsailor »

Time lapse of foredeck layup for anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/ED_fPRamJCc
pmcn@hotmail.com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westport, MA

Post by pmcn@hotmail.com »

Hello David,
I too enjoy your pictures/post and will also be starting the same Sampson post/deck project this week.
Thanks
Pete=
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

pmcn@hotmail.com wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:07 pm Hello David,
I too enjoy your pictures/post and will also be starting the same Sampson post/deck project this week.
Thanks
Pete=
Hey, good to hear it, Pete. Thanks. Good luck with your project. Do share photos of what you find/do.

David
pmcn@hotmail.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

When I purchased 84 the front and side decks to about the forward door had all the teak removed and was finished and painted. The core wasn't done except an area behind the Sampson post from below. The Sampson post doesn't go through the deck nor did it ever. Looking at the underside of the deck inside the chain locker it is all original except there are bolt holes where I'm assuming the windless was originally mounted. The windless is now on the bowsprit causing greater horizontal forces along the bowsprit resulting in the teak cap to crack where the forward part of the bowsprit screws into It. I'm planning on opening up the deck around the post to see if there is any way I can re-core/re-bed what I've got but I'm not too optimistic. If not I'll go the way you did. I have already removed the rest of the lower teak decks and re-cored the side decks near the aft cabin and the aft deck.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Interesting. So it's a wood Samson post that is fastened at deck level and the bowsprit only?
pmcn@hotmail.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

cdsailor wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:40 pm Interesting. So it's a wood Samson post that is fastened at deck level and the bowsprit only?
IMG_0571.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

I'm trying to imagine how that post setup, without any structure through the deck, provides enough support for the loads imposed on it. The bowsprit provides virtually no lateral support, particularly since it can pivot on the lag bolt that secures it to the caprail, so it seems like dock lines would work the post side to side. But I guess it's held up for 34 years. Interesting.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Mine is supported in several places as it passes thru the deck.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
pmcn@hotmail.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

jleonard wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:48 am Mine is supported in several places as it passes thru the deck.
So your Sampson post doesn't go all the through the deck and attach to the hull like cdsailor's? What sort of support? Do you still have the teak deck?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

pmcn@hotmail.com wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:15 pm
jleonard wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:48 am Mine is supported in several places as it passes thru the deck.
So your Sampson post doesn't go all the through the deck and attach to the hull like cdsailor's? What sort of support? Do you still have the teak deck?
Yes it DOES go thru the deck. It is supported in several areas as it passes thru.
Upper section is supported at the pulpit. Just below that it is bolted to the vertical section that rises to the top of the anchor locker. Next it is fiberglassed to the floor of the chain locker (which is very shallow0, then the base is fiberglassed to the bottom of the hull. I added an additional support as I fabricated a lower shelf to the chain locker.

And yes I still have teak decks.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

jleonard,

I'd be keen to see pictures if you have some.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I'll look later today and see if I have any.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Capt Kirt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Slidell, La

Post by Capt Kirt »

Hi David, Thanks for the info. My Samson post was completely missing. I am still in the process of stopping water penetration from the deck so it will dry out a bit. As soon as I get started Ill post some pictures. This particular boat had one foot in the grave when I rescued it so there's a lot to do. I spent the first two months getting the engine running and leaks from engine and trans mission stopped and reinstalled the missing steering. . Finally got it moved to permanent mooring. It was sitting for about six years before I was blessed with it LOL Thanks again for your hard work and encouragement.
Capt Kirt
pmcn@hotmail.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

cdsailor wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pm I'm trying to imagine how that post setup, without any structure through the deck, provides enough support for the loads imposed on it. The bowsprit provides virtually no lateral support, particularly since it can pivot on the lag bolt that secures it to the caprail, so it seems like dock lines would work the post side to side. But I guess it's held up for 34 years. Interesting.
Hello David,
Here are pictures of my project. The post was molded to the 24x15 base that was molded into the deck. No means of support in the chain locker. I've further removed the top skin and shredded core and started putting it back together. I can't seem to find two 2x4 white oak pieces for the new post. Any ideas ? I live in Massachusetts.
Thanks
Pete
IMG_0642 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Hi Pete,

Interesting setup. Getting the Samson post out of the locker frees up some space and minimizes the chances of water leaks, I suppose. What caused water ingress in your foredeck?

I sourced my white oak from Johnson's Workbench in South Bend, Indiana. I found the straightest piece I could that would yield 4.5"x4.5" (or so) when ripped and the two halves were laminated together. I think the raw board measured something like 2.5" thick by about 10" wide. There must be someone near you who sells white oak. If a search of local lumber suppliers fails, call up someone like Gannon and Benjamin, or some other wooden boat builder, and ask them. Massachusetts is prime boat-building country.

Another thought, if you can find 4x4 Ipe, it would be a good material. I thought about going that route, but I only found 3.5x3.5" available without milling it myself, which would have been far more expensive. (I think my white oak was around $100 or less.) If you find 4x4 Ipe and decide to use it, you might want to verify that your chosen epoxy system bonds well to Ipe.

Interesting to see your progress! Good luck.

David

Return to “36/37/40/43”