• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

waterlift muff sizing

jmatlaga
Gold Member
Gold Member

waterlift muff sizing

Post by jmatlaga »

Hey all,
Rebuilding a 36 Albin with the FL120 engine.I replaced exhaust system using 3 inch fittings, muffler, hose throughout.I start blowing black smoke after 1500rpm.Im thinking I have a backpressure problem.What size in/out do you guys have on your waterlift mufflers?Thanks for any input,....Joe
westrivertrawler

Re: waterlift muff sizing

Post by westrivertrawler »

I'm not sure of the "in", but the "out" is definately larger than 3"; more like 5-6" (without measuring).
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Mine is 3 1/2 inch out of the engine, into the muffler, out of the muffler, out of the boat.
That is standard and will work.
That said I would not be 100% that the small sizing is your problem.
Sen me an e mail to
jleonard@usa.norgren.com
and I will send you a troubleshooting guide that discusses problems that yield black smoke.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Daryl
Mate
Mate

Post by Daryl »

My Albin 33 came with 3 1/2" exhaust in and out of the muffler with the Lehman 135. For a time it was reduced to three inch inside diameter and it never cause problems with smoke. Remove the air cleaner and see if that helps. Motor would smoke and run rich if air is restricted
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Remove the air cleaner and see if that helps. Motor would smoke and run rich if air is restricted
Yes that is the forst thing to check. A new filter is easy...just go to cheapo-depot and buy a foam shop vac filter that is the same size. Many many 120 owners have been doing that for years.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
caseylynn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by caseylynn »

Need to replace the waterlift muffler on my 1978 36 FL 120 powered boat. Have not been able to find a replacement. The muffler is located on the portside of the engine. It is 12" dia. 12" height. 3" angled inlet with a 3" outlet which exits the top but is a 90 degree fitting rather than the normal straight verticle fitting. Going to try removal in one piece. its really been patched over the years where the fittings attach to the main body of the muffler. Will try to post some pictures :?: :( :( .
MEGHAN J
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Clayton NY

Post by MEGHAN J »

I need to replace or repair my waterlift How did you do with yours? Whaer can I find a replacement? Did you repair? I would really appreciate any comments.

Return to “36/37/40/43”