• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How to remove doors?

bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

How to remove doors?

Post by bccanucker »

I as well was advised to epoxy the doors.(Because of all the water that gets poured over them when it rains). I had never put on epoxy before varnishing and was quite nervous about doing it right. It went great. I did not thin and it wasn't necessary to thin. West says "do not thin".
Note the hardener I used was 207 which is not the common one but is the clear one and therefore best to varnish over. I applied the epoxy with the same foam brushes I use for varnishing. Did 3 coats of epoxy.
My teak decks were removed and decks replaced by previous owner.
I looooove your blue hull.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Re: How to remove doors?

Post by crowra »

I checked out your blog Roy (actually I have it bookmarked). Your teak work looks phenomenal!
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Roy - the woodwork looks fantastic - I am eager to hear how it holds up and what kind of maintenance you feel will be needed to keep that look. The teak is my "full time job" each spring/summer.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Ok, end of season report. The 2 doors and anchor pulpit that got the epoxy coats and 8 coats of varnish (Schooner) are still in perfect condition. I'm not going to have to recoat them for next year.
The rest of the boat where I'm only at about 3-4 coats is struggling and will take the continued lots of work next spring.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

We had a couple of cracked/leaking windows replaced/repaired by Phipps Boat Works, Deale, MD (highly recommend them!) this winter. I asked Buster, owner, about a solution for removing the starboard door. Below are pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
SelahWay
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by SelahWay »

Oh, I like this! Phipps Boat Works thinks my way....

Return to “36/37/40/43”