• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Door screen alternatives

meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Door screen alternatives

Post by meridian »

I'm looking for ideas on screening for the port and starboard sliding doors on my 36-DC. I have a sliding aluminum screen on the port side but it is difficult to use.
-------------------------------
Terry
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Door screen alternatives

Post by jleonard »

Wife made one screen "door" by cutting fabric mosquito mesh to size and sewing velcro to it and glueing velcro on the frame. That works good. She made another by making a curtain that slides on a spring loaded rod mounted above the door and a couple of velcro pads to keep it extended to cover the door. We tie it to one side when not in use like a regular curtain.
I like the curtain style better as it's easier to get thru so she'll probably change the first one to be like that.
A friend has one made from sunbrella that snaps in place and has a center zipper. Thatworks well also.

So there's a couple of ideas.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
lfrankooh
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cleveland, Ohio

Post by lfrankooh »

I made both door screens made from screening from Home Depot. After cutting the screening to the shape of the door opening, I sewed strapping (available from most fabric stores by the foot) around the edges to reinforce the screening. Snaps in the appropriate places and done!

With the frame around the inside it was easy to make it mosquito proof by stretching the screening for a tight fit. Best of all the screen rolls up and tucks out of the way quite well.
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Post by meridian »

Thanks for the ideas
-------------------------------
Terry
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Post by saltwaternurse »

Hi - this is the solution that the previous owners came up with - the lower helm side door is a fixed screen that snaps on and the port door has a similar canvas frame with a zippered opening that I roll up and pin with a clothes peg during the day when it's being used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. M. Twain
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

And one more .. similar to some of the other suggestions. Screening with stainless snaps and a center zipper to sneak through. Unsnap the bottom and sides and it stows above nicely with velcro straps.
CIMG0920 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

My presumption is that "Terry" has already done what was earlier suggested.

We have a different solution.

Look around the stores that carry, "As Seen on TV", Boscov's as a store has one.

There is a screen that is used on an outside door at home. You attach it at the top with a curtain rod and you can secure it on the side with snaps (or tape).

The difference is that down the center are magnets. When you push thru, the magnets separate and then due to weight initially and then magnetic attraction the screen pulls back together.

We use one on each door on our boat. I am looking forward to taking a sewing machine to it as now it is doubled over and taped to maintain the door size.

Much easier to deal with going in & out opposed to snaps or zippers and it works great.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop

Return to “36/37/40/43”