• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bob Smith's engine class

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Bob Smith's engine class

Post by rebuckley »

Has anyone ever taken the engine class by Bob Smith (Lehman engines)? I have seen they offer a 2 day class around 3 times a year - with engine basics. Just wondering if anyone has taken it? I assume, if Bob does teach it, there is not much better of a way to learn about the Lehman engine.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Bob Smith's engine class

Post by jleonard »

I have not, however a good friend of mine took the class a few years ago (he gave me his notes). He learned a lot about the engine, how to R&R the injection pump, head, etc. They tear down and put tigether the engine in the class.
Lots of troubleshooting info as well that is not only Lehman specific but much is universal as well.
They also talk about the various upgrades that are recommended for the FL 120.
I think if you are an experienced mechanic it is not worth taking, but if you're a novice or not familiar with diesels or engines then it is worth while.
My friend who took it is an electrical engineer and never messed around with engines much and he learned a lot and was comfortable doing lots of his own work after the class.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

As an experienced mechanic I can say I will take it if I get the chance, one can always learn more. Sometimes its the little tricks that are specific to that engine that someone like Mr. Smith would be teaching that make a big difference in the success of repairs. Especially since we are about to purchase a 36
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Thanks guys - since my level of mechanic is "just enough to get in trouble" - I think it will be a great class and worth my time/money. Also - since Bob is from the group that actually designed the engine - I am sure, as panhdjoe said, he will have all the "tricks" for our particular engine. Besides - it is a good excuse to go to Florida in the cold months, right?
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

rebuckley wrote:Besides - it is a good excuse to go to Florida in the cold months, right?
yes :D
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

The class sounds good. Do you happen to know the next date it will be held?
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

The class seems to be held at the "Passage Maker Trawler Fest" - (www.passagemaker.com - under trawler fest) it looks like they do it 3x per year.
The next one is in FL in Feb. - no registration info on the site yet, so not sure the class will happen there yet - but it seems to happen at all the prior east coast ones.

The class only has 16 slots, so I would think you need to jump early - registration for this next one is set for sometime this month.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

For you guys in the Ct and RI area....two of the best Ford-Lehman mechanics around are at Whitford Marine in Mystic. Bob and Drew have been working on them for a very long time. And they like to tell you how much they know if you know what I mean. They are a wealth of knowledge. Stop in some time and ask them some questions and they will likely bend your ear for a while.
Of course if you can make one of Bob Smith's classes go for that, but if you can't there is good local knowledge available.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

I second the Whitford Marine - those guys are magic!
I always joke that he is the kind of guy who can jump in the engine room, taste the oil, and tell you what is going on.

I remember walking in off the street, looking for some odd part - a few minutes in the store room and bam - issue fixed.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

Gloriousky I just got my tickets for Bob Smith's class on Feb25 and 26 in Florida. If anyone else is attending from Philadelphia area I would share rental car for a few days . I will be going on line to check for a b and b or Botel to stay at. I have never been to Lake Park. Jay Aquarius
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Hey - how was the class? Spoke to Bob - he is planning another next spring - and I am going to that one.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

I have been in touch with Bob, mid-November, and he says he isn't doing an engine class, "Unfortunately, due to health issues, I do not have any engine classes scheduled".

Therefore I ask, does anyone know of another engine class which may hit a lot of the topics in Bob's OR does anyone have any notes they could forward, scan or copy for me and send them along.

Thanks and would appreciate any help.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

This year Nigel Calder & Steve Zimmerman will conduct the two day classroom and hands-on Diesel Engine class.

On my bookshelf on the boat is Nigel's book Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair, so this should be an excellent course.

http://www.passagemaker.com/events/traw ... each-2016/

Bob DeGroot
2005 A28TE
Cape Coral, FL
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Bob,

I know it is difficult to think of the rest of us boaters that are in the NORTHERN climes, when you are sitting in the warm embraces of sunny Florida, BUT the class you made me aware of IS in Florida and my boss won't let me go;>.

If you hear of anything up in the Chesapeake, please let me know.

Thanks and have a great holiday season.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Since you live in the Chesapeake area, you could call ADC and ask if you could visit their shop and have one of their guys spend a couple of hours with you reviewing your engine, maintenance procedures, etc.
You don't need the entire class that Bob used to teach, since you are likely not going to do a complete engine rebuild.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”