• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel consumption

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by jleonard »

mike66 wrote:I would have to see that 13k to believe it. That would mean some degree of planing in a boat that doesn't have the hull form for it. I can see about 2gph per engine with the cummuns at hull speed (7-8 knots)
All I can say is that when I talked to that person, he no longer owned the boat and really had nothing to lie about.
He actually contacted me when I was asking questions on boatdiesel about repowering my boat.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Post by meridian »

I have a 1983 '36 DC with a single 120 Lehman. Since July I've put on 3,800 miles and burn about 1.7GPH
-------------------------------
Terry
CHB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: East Greenwich, RI

Post by CHB »

My 1989 36' with twin Cummins tops out at 12-13 knts. Not very economical, of course, but you have the extra speed when you want it.
summerveld
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: homans creek bayport new york

Post by summerveld »

12-13knts is magic stuff,a 36 albin got a water line length of 31',making it impossible to get 12knt out of her full displacement hull,
if you want speed buy bigger 45'-60',for me my 36's 1,7gph will always be freedom to do and go where ever I want to go
CHB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CHB »

No magic, just 420 horsepower vs ~120 hp in your lehman.
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

Albin hull forms are described by their own brochures as "semi-displacement".

Attached is a brochure for a 40 model (note the 15kts available with higher hp engines)

The last 2 winters I have run to FL and back to NJ (just shy of 5000NM) and have found my tachs at around 1650 give me 6.3 knots, 1.9 gal/hr fuel burn and that comes very close to 3.3 NM/Gal which divides out and works out at the end of the trip to gallons burned, hrs run and miles covered to...not just sort term measurements (the gal/hr is close to the charted burn)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

looks like the 36 could also get up and go...from a BoatUS boat review...

With the standard 135 hp Lehman engine, a clean bottom and undamaged propeller, the 36 will cruise at about seven to seven and a half knots and burn about three gallons of fuel per hour. The optional 210 hp Cummins adds only about one knot to cruising speed and about a gallon per hour to fuel consumption. The Albin 36 caries 350 gallons of fuel in two tanks, and has an effective cruising range of more than 700 miles.

The optional twin 210 hp Cummins engine installation provides enough power to attain cruising speeds in the range of 14 to 15 knots but at a substantial increase in fuel consumption and reduction in cruising range.

http://www.boatus.com/boatreviews/power/Albin36.asp
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

And with twin 800 hp CAT's she'll do 20 on the worst planing hull you've ever seen. (Wonder what the trim angle would be at cruise?)
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

mike66 wrote:And with twin 800 hp CAT's she'll do 20 on the worst planing hull you've ever seen. (Wonder what the trim angle would be at cruise?)
Hey...just reporting what you didn't know...no need to get pissy....everyone knows they aren't planning hulls...just semi-near-displacement hulls.

They are semi-displacement hulls...like Grand Banks with gross fuel burns but the facts are there...not what you thought.

Just letting the the rest of the folks know the truth...not wives tales.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
CHB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CHB »

mike66 wrote:And with twin 800 hp CAT's she'll do 20 on the worst planing hull you've ever seen. (Wonder what the trim angle would be at cruise?)

Mike: Come over to East Greenwich and we'll go for a ride in Greenwich Bay on my boat. You'll see for yourself that it will go 12-12.5 Knots as I previously stated....period. It takes a lot of horsepower to get that kind of "extra" speed and it is very un-economical.
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

CHB wrote:

Mike: Come over to East Greenwich and we'll go for a ride in Greenwich Bay on my boat. You'll see for yourself that it will go 12-12.5 Knots as I previously stated....period. It takes a lot of horsepower to get that kind of "extra" speed and it is very un-economical.
Sad when some will still not believe honest reports from other forum members that are substantiated by other sources such as professional surveyors and manufacturer brochures.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Semi displacement hulls are strange acting sometimes. My "ex" was an old Mainship 34 with a semi hull. When I was researching for my re power I was told it would never see anything over 15 knots.
Well...going from a 160 hp to a 270 hp, fairing the fat keel to get better undisturbed water to the prop, stiffining the hull above the prop to prevent "oil canning", she did an honest 18.5 knots. Her trim once over 15 was almost dead flat, very small wake.
Sometimes boats act strange indeed.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Guys, I was only having fun....I didn't mean to raise hackles. Guess I was the only one who thought it was just being silly after my "sundowner". Sorry, and I respect all your opinions and posts.....that's why I'm on this site.

Here's what David Pascoe says about the similar hull form on the 1990 Gand Banks 42: http://www.docksidereports.com/boatrevi ... nks_42.htm

I don't appreciate the name-calling.......if we were hanging around the boatyard having this discussion over a few beers and interacting as live human beings complete with facial expressions, tone of voice, etc., I think you would find me to be a very agreeable person. Oh well.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

For what it is worth, and I'm coming late to the party, I think (and I use that term loosely, you need to if you own a boat) that to purchase a boat solely on the engine(s) is not the way to approach the prospect of owning a boat.
I would venture to guess that most of us spend more time tied to the dock than running up & down the waterways.
More important are what layout issues are important (you have said the galley down is) but what else is important?
Boats are a collection of compromises, give up one thing, gain another.
I'd personally suggest that you sit down with paper & pencil and 2 columns to decide what else is important (both inside and out).
I look around my marina and see boats I wouldn't want given to me.
We own a 1985 43' Sundeck and I have to admit, with all the give and take, I can't think of another boat I'd want (with my current financial limitations). My engines are FL 135's (2) and they start the first time and run great (knock on wood).
Enjoy the search, that all part of the project of finding the right boat for you.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
Rickchambly
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Chambly

Post by Rickchambly »

By The way i just purchased a sundeck 43 1988, is it possible to find Manuel for This boat. Richard from Montreal

Return to “36/37/40/43”