• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel consumption

dwpyritz

Fuel consumption

Post by dwpyritz »

I am new to the list, just starting to look at boats but leaning toward 38' to 44' Albin or Marine Trader, partly because of galley-down layout. I would be interested in opinions. I am especially interested in member's experiences with fuel consumption. If you could respond on your boat model (36, 40, 43'), single or double, engine make, and gph and/or mpg, that would be really great. Any other comments? I live in the midwest, not even on the Great Lakes but 180 miles from Lake Michigan so my search for the right boat will probably take me far and wide. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experience. :?:
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

dwpyritz,
I don't own one myself. Just wanted to welcome you to the board. Hopefully you'll find the information you are looking for.

Once again. Welcome!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Fuel consupmtion will be based on how fast (ok, how slow) you try to go.
I have a 1983 40 Albin trunk cabin with a single Ford-Lehman 120. We have owned her one season.
I'd say avg maybe 2 gal per hr at 7+ knots. is pretty typical for me and agrees with what the guys in the MTOA and trawler groups also get.
Double that for two engines.
On our maiden voyage last year we had to bring the boat home from Rochester, NY to Mystic, Ct. We travelled 530 nautical miles (from the gps log), ran 80 engine hours, and used about 130 gal of diesel. We spent a lot of time idling while waiting for locks and used some fuel in the genset.

We also preferred the galley down. Since we plan on cruising the loop in a few years and living aboard for a while we didn't want to be relaxing in the kitchen all the time. Plus all the galley up boats have built in dinettes....and they are not the most comfortable. Our particular Albin has nothing at all built into the salon...not even the helm seat. It's the only one we've seen like that and it gives us the freedom to arrange it like we want.
Hope this helps.
Have fun shopping.
Jay Leonard
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
grandstart

Fuel consumption

Post by grandstart »

I own a 1985 Sundeck with twin 225hp Volvo engines. I usually travel at 1600-1800 rpm. Depending on the current, fuel usage is 6-10 gph with a speed of 9 knots. Single engine boats get better milage but I like the potential of a higher top speed in case we need to run from a storm and I also like the redundancy (on the water all too often, Murphy has proven to be an optimist).
diversion
Mate
Mate

fuel consumption

Post by diversion »

I own a 1986 Albin trawler. Fuel consumption is about 2 gal per hour at 2000 rpms. I have owned the boat for 21 years.
sidsailor

Fuel consumption

Post by sidsailor »

I own an Albin 40 1989 vintage with twin 135 Lehman's. We run at 1800 rpm, speed about 8.5 kts, and burn between 2 and 2.5 gallons per hour per each engine for a total of 4 to 5 gph.
lmustico
Gold Member
Gold Member

1978 Albin 33 Fuel Consumption

Post by lmustico »

I own a 78 Albin 33 with a 120 Ford/Lehman. Consistently burns 1.5gph at 6.5-7kts. Have owned the boat since 2005.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

sidsailor - lmustico,
Welcome to the board!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
cvrolyk

Re: 1978 Albin 33 Fuel Consumption

Post by cvrolyk »

Hello, I'm new to this board and was wondering where I could get more info on a Albin 33 model? Can you help at all, thanks in advance.
Chris (cvrolyk @ videotron.ca)
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

lmustico wrote:I own a 78 Albin 33 with a 120 Ford/Lehman. Consistently burns 1.5gph at 6.5-7kts. Have owned the boat since 2005.
78 Albin 33 here also, and I agree. I can burn more without going much faster, though. lol
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

cvrolyk wrote:Hello, I'm new to this board and was wondering where I could get more info on a Albin 33 model? Can you help at all, thanks in advance.
Chris (cvrolyk _AT_ videotron.ca)
I've owned my 33 since '00. I'm pretty familiar with my boat, what would you like to know?
CHB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: East Greenwich, RI

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by CHB »

I am in the process of purchasing a 1989 36 with twin Cummins 210 hp engines. Anyone have cruising speed-fuel consumption information? Is 14 knots top end reasonable? What is the fuel consumption at WOT?
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I think 14 knots would be impossible with that much power in a displacement hull. It's made for 7 - 8 knots; any more would be a big waste of fuel for little gain. Enjoy the ride. It takes us an hour from Warwick Cove to Potter's Cove. Used to do it in 20 mins. with my blackfin at 25 gals/hr and twin 454's. You have to take a sailor's mindset and remember that, as my wife likes to say, "the boat is the destination".
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

On the contrary, I think 14 knots top end is achievable, but that will be about the limit.
My reasoning is that I talked with a previous owner of a Albin 40 powered by a single Cummins 210 and he said he could hit 13 knots at WOT and could cruise at 10.

So I'm thinking it's possible with a 36 and twin 210s. No real guess at the fuel usage other than I would look at a chart.
It won't be economical.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I would have to see that 13k to believe it. That would mean some degree of planing in a boat that doesn't have the hull form for it. I can see about 2gph per engine with the cummuns at hull speed (7-8 knots)
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “36/37/40/43”