• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Verify wire connections at motor please...

cct
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY

Verify wire connections at motor please...

Post by cct »

Hi all,
I was working on a project and needed to disconnect the wires coming from the motor on the port side midship. I thought I marked them correctly but I lost my tach and other engine instruments so something is screwed up.... The bundle comes from the starter, temp/oil sensors, alt, etc., join at the port side of the motor, then enter electrical conduit as it is attached to the vertical floor support post in front of the port side fuel tank. From there, it runs up to both instrument clusters. Can someone PLEASE describe to me the wire color combo and where each and every one of the wires are attached at the motor? Thanks in advance.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Verify wire connections at motor please...

Post by jleonard »

Which motor?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
cct
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cct »

Ah, sorry. FL 120. Some of the gauges weren't working at the helm so that's why I just can't go to there and work backwards. Thanks for the help.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Do you have a seperate voltage regulator? I'll be at the boat later today, I'll take a look and hopefully some photos.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

See attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
cct
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cct »

Mike: no. Voltage regulator is mounted on back of alternator.
J: Thanks for the wiring diagram. I'll have to look at it closer - I thought I followed it exactly but the Tach is reading ZERO regardless of RPM setting, so I set cruise RPM by sound till I can open it up again.

Ah..., 1 step forward, 2 steps back.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

On my boat, the stator output ( the connection to the tach ) is a white wire. I would consult an owner's manual to find out which terminal on your alternator to connect the tach to. Mine is a Balmer, theirs are all available on their website.
http://www.balmar.net/
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Tach terminal is the "R" terminal if labelled. And it is a white wire.
I have an original alternator at home. I'll look tonight and take a pic if I remember.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2337

There's an illustration on page 26 that might help.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

For what it is worth - the original wire on my Tac from the sender on the alt - is yellow with red stripe. I do have a white wire entering the helm (have not traced it back) but it runs to the amp meter gauge.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

ABYC code for yellow w/ red is engine starter circuit to solenoid. Here is a copy of their color codes. They list tach circuit wire as gray.
http://www.clrmarine.com/538.html
More head scratching and sleuthing in your future, it seems. Half the stuff in my upper helm panel has clipped wires... luckily the temp and tach work. Another project for another day.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

I am not sure how ABYC compliant the Taiwanese builders were back in the 80's. I tend to think that with every DC project I take on in this boat.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

Whatever wire was lying around no doubt......well, it worked once, it will work again. Good luck with it.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Post by brookesmith »

One other thing. Our 1979 36 ad a engine harness meltdown. The starting circuit was NOT fused. Looking at Bob Smiths wiring diagram it shows NO fuse either. As far as I can tell the push start button was drawing too much current but was engaging the starter solenoid without fail. At the helm the push start button wires melted together as the return wire was pinched between the starter motor and engine block and the insulation was gone. Anyhow I started the engine and started out on a NIGHT cruise of our creek and we started smelling the insulation melting down as the start circuit had become stuck engaged. I'm sure the starter motor was not running continuous as the pinched area was basically a short circuit with no fuse in the path. The lower helm started smoking. I turned the battery switch off and then things started cooling down. No fire, only lots of stink. The entire wiring harness was melted and all wires needed replacing. I went to West Marine and bought several colors of wire, but they did not have the ABYC yellow/red stripe. I also FUSED this circuit so if this ever happens again the fuse should let go. As far as ABYC and fuses, the only circuit that is not fused is the + battery cable to the starter motor. But ABYC DOES want a battery switch that could be turned off in case of a locked rotor overheat of the starter motor. My boat's starting battery was wired directly to the starter motor when I bought it. Electrically that is the best for conduction. I consider the battery switch as a single point of failure for high starting amperage and two more connections to corrode as well as the switch contacts having some resistance. But, I installed a battery switch per ABYC. Now if I just realize when I have a locked rotor condition on the starter motor I can turn the switch off (that is if the contacts don't weld before i get to the switch.)
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy

Return to “36/37/40/43”