• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Buying 1988 36 classic

jpar721
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: bayshore, ny

Buying 1988 36 classic

Post by jpar721 »

I'm in the process of buying a 1988 36' classic, it looks like the windows in salon and aft cabin had leaked also the port door frame has water damage. veneer is peeling off, need advice on what other things to look for? Thanks
Chester B

Re: Buying 1988 36 classic

Post by Chester B »

We bought a similar boat (same year) several years ago and discovered a lot of leakage in the teak decks into the core. We ended up removing the teak, cutting up large portions of the glass (entire stern, 6 feet up both sides, and the bow) and had to replace the core and then re-glass. Not a job for the faint-of-heart. Deck is now non-skid Awlgrip. Now much easier to clean and much cooler on the feet. We also had leakage around the windows and are in the final stages of repairing the inside damage (either withe new veneer or paint or wall paper); outside has already been resealed and cabin painted with Awlgrip. We also had the bottom peeled because of a lot of minor osmosis and have gone through the engine room replacing many components (fresh water pump, heater, batteries, inverter, battery charger, etc.). Look for fuel tank leaks - that could be a real job. Our Lehman 135 had over 6,000 hours on it which made me nervous but Brian at American Diesel (and every mechanic I've talked to since) and said it's just getting broken in. We had only a so-so surveyor which I was not too happy about. Really look around for a good one. Good luck
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

There are lots of things to look for. Water intrusion is up at the top of the list. I would buy a boat with zero water damage unless you enjoy chasing down leaks and repairing the damage. But that's me. I just found wet areas above the anchor locker near the Samson post where the washdown hose goes through as well as the windlass wires and an unused drain fitting. I love my boat, but wish I could have afforded a higher end boat.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

May I suggest some excellent reading for any one interested in any of the older 36's http://www.baris.net/boats/lf3/pdf/arti ... awlers.pdf http://www.boatus.com/boatreviews/power/Albin36.asp The first link is about twain trawlers in general the second is a review of the Albin 36
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
flavigne
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Plaisance QC Canada

Post by flavigne »

All those wood frames windows are liable to leak. First, there is a drain hole at the bottom of the frame. You have to remove the screen and clean those holes. It does improve the performance of the windows. For the back window which are not protected by an overhang, I had some canvas shutters done and I am letting them down when it is raining. This has cured the problem. In fact, the window for the shower on the starbord side is covered at all time as any rain produce a high volume cascade at the rear of the flybridge floor... directly into the window.

All 5 windows in the back are covered. The canvas is sliding into an aluminium track overlaping the window.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “36/37/40/43”