• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 liveaboard

Kilo fox II
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: None

Albin 36 liveaboard

Post by Kilo fox II »

thinking about an albin 36 as a liveaboard from n carolina south - thoughts?
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Albin 36 liveaboard

Post by eseyoung »

All in all i think a 36 would be a great choice. You may need some supplemental heat in the form of either a propane furnace or maybe even just some space heaters.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

So are we. My wife, son and I lived on our Albin 36 last summer. We had the advantage of having the 'mothership' (our house) a few miles away. It is very liveable for two -- three is a bit cramped in the saloon. The only downside is the small refrigerator. We are considering adding a second fridge but not many options of where to put it.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Jbulluck

Post by Jbulluck »

We are thinking of selling our Albin 36. Owned and loved her for 11 years.
1981 in great condition.
phauparazzi
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Key West

Post by phauparazzi »

I have a 2000 34ft Command Bridge which is a great live-aboard. Its for sale too.
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Post by meridian »

PM sent
-------------------------------
Terry
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Many years ago we chartered a 37' President sundeck. Aboard were my wife and twin boys about 12-14 at the time.

I'm not familiar with the 36'Albin but I'd suspect that it is about the same as the one we chartered. The saloon & galley were both up and if someone was at the sink or refrigerator it was difficult getting by due to the hi-low table.

That experience was informative as we realized that it might be mostly the 2 of us most of the time, BUT, it would be crowded if/when we had guests. We then looked at a 40' Marine Trader but the side walk ways were too narrow and I wouldn't want to have to get forward in a hurry. I think we were lucking in finding our '86, 43' Albin sundeck as it has great walk-ways wide enough for snow shoes without it impinging on the saloon. The galley is down so that adds to the room in the saloon and it holds an 8+ cu.ft. refrigerator.

There are obviously additional costs for a bigger boat but we think the trade-off is worth it in a stable ride, more house water, more fuel for longer distance cruising, more room with guests, great sized sundeck for a peaceful spot to take in the scenery, even in the rain, large flybridge, which is where we do most of the driving, etc, etc, etc. Most who are moving into trawlers are more 'portly' and need to be able to move around without obstacles. Our boat is 3 steps to everything.

As to heat, we have a reverse AC unit so if we need supplemental heat we have that as well as space heaters and most of the time the space heaters work well.

I'd suggest a charter then see if a 36' would work for you, then go from there.

Good luck.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

The 36 is the bare minimum for what I would consider a liveaboard for 1 person...for 2...it is just too cramped. Can you make it work? Sure...but make darn sure.

I'm on my 3rd liveaboard and I wish I had gotten an Albin 43 instead of the 40.

I find the 40 just shy of enough space to include all the appliances (washer dryer) and storage space I would like.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

My wife and I are doing the loop in a 36 DC; we just completed the first stage from Venice, FL to Norfolk. We find the 36 just fine for two people. When our son and family (wife and 2 year old) stayed for two nights it was a bit cramped. We don't have a bow or stern thruster so I wouldn't want anything larger. I think its all what you are comfortable with.
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

The real trick is year after year...doing the loop and moving everything you own and want aboard CAN but not necessarily be 2 different animals.

Plus it is about cruising style....marina hopping? Loop in 1 year? 3 years? Carry bikes? Carry dive/snorkeling gear? Carry a lot of spares and tools? Do laundry every couple of weeks or every week? Bringing hobbies aboard? Dingy to row ashore or explore? .... the list goes on forever.

Most can exist in a smaller space, I did with my first 2 liveaboards. I looked at many 36s as they fit my budget better...but now after 4 years aboard...I wish I had robbed a bank to get something bigger.

And by the way...I love hammock camping, even in the winter time...I thrived in 4 military survival schools.

I'm not into luxury...but most partners and guests...even if only over for happy hour prefer not to sit on one another and I prefer not to have to rearrange storage every time I need a screw.

No such thing as too much storage space....when looking at boats...make sure everything you want to travel with you has it's own spot if you plan to use it every week.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

What Scott said
(except the part about military survival schools)
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nepidae »

I agree with Scott as well.

Who wants to re-arrange everything when you needa screw!!! I want to be able to get one every time I need or want one.

There are those who don't need screws, but I once read/heard that everything you bring aboard should serve 2 purposes. My example was that we needed a vacuum for general cleaning and we also wanted to keep the bilge dry (before dripless were installed) a wet/dry serves both needs.

I also don't need to have gone to survival school to know I like my queen size berth.

Boats are a compromise and usually the owner has had to weigh those compromises to arrive at the boat that will meet their needs.

If Kilo Fox II is still monitoring, I would still endorse a charter to get the feel for what you can and can't compromise with.
Calm seas,

Charles

m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I want to be able to get one every time I need or want one
Hey this is a family channel!! LOL
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nepidae »

Hey, where is your mind?!!! Weren't we talking about a screw?
There are times that I want one and there are times I need one and it always seems to be a different screw that comes into play. Geez there are also times that I get a screw and it didn't turn out like I had suspected and I need to start all over again.
Good thing we have a 43, there is always seems to be someplace for a screw. Also a good thing I have a mate that helps me with my screws. She'll usually give me a screw when I need or want one! It sometimes helps to have an extra set of hands when you are screwing.
Anyway, I was just repeating what pcneeld had said. I quote, "I'm not into luxury...but most partners and guests...even if only over for happy hour prefer not to sit on one another and I prefer not to have to rearrange storage every time I need a screw".
You can read that any way you want to!! ;>
BUT, I got a LOL out of it!
Calm seas,

Charles

m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Certainly agree with a charter if possible. If not, look at the 36 and ask yourself "will I/we be comfortable down the road...oops...down the water!?" We looked at many 32'-36's when we were shopping for a larger boat. Our 40NSC was the first 40 we looked at and we ended up "robbing the bank" for the room, comfort and engines.. What a difference! As would a 43 compared to a 40. We moved from Vermont to Florida in 6 weeks....we had a full load of supplies....many cases of beer, a couple cases of vodka...you know, the essentials :wink: . We had as many as 10 on the boat for a cruise which was comfy, plenty of places to sit and hang out and 4 for an overnight which was..... ok.
It's what will fit your life style. Good luck in finding the right one for you!

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “36/37/40/43”