• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Auxiliary steering kit

mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Auxiliary steering kit

Post by mudskipper »

Good morning, happy winter folks. My Albin 40 came with a 3 piece auxiliary tiller. I Have a lovely teak handle, and two flanged and shaped pipes about 4 feet long. Has anyone out there got this feature? I Am not sure if I did lose hydro steering weather I would just hunker down and use my towing insurance,or leap into action,stripping my mattress pulling up the false bottom to the gear underneath and hook this gizmo up? I Think you would need at least three people to operate this rig. One to drive the boat,one signal person, and an operator/ordinary seaman to work the tiller in the stern. Space is precious thing on a boat. At this time the kit is home in my basement. Should I varnish tiller and put it over my mantle or put Bach on the boat? Nice malaprop there curtesy I pad. Is this just a joke like the hand bilge pump under the step? Send help. Jay
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Auxiliary steering kit

Post by jleonard »

I have one of those also. It is stored under the aft head so it really doesn't take any space.
I think 2 people could operate it as the person holding the tiller can easily see the helmsman.
Not sure how difficult it would be to set up or operate. You could probably lash it to the side rails to keep the rudder straight though. I think that would be my plan.
I have a hydraulic stern thruster that I could use to change direction.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Ours is stored aft under the SR queen on a rack by the water tanks.
I can't imagine using it, at least from the sundeck as there is a plate that would need to be removed first, very time consuming.
It would probably be better to rip up the mattress pull off the water tank covers and use it from the SR.
Could get direction from someone at the helm either by cell or headsets.
Twin engines would help with steering.
If it wasn't tucked away there I'd probably take it home as well.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I think the deal is if you're out of range of towing services and single screw, a way to get somewhere would be very helpful. Twin screw... no need. If you're never in that situation then it's just excess stuff. Your choice. I'll keep mine for the little extra security it gives me if the steering hydraulics fail. Better than nothing, although my first instinct would be to drop the hook and call Seatow.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “36/37/40/43”