• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Re-bedding front window

jrose
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Midland, Ontario

Re-bedding front window

Post by jrose »

I am refinishing and repairing leaks in the front centre opening window on my 1987 Albin 40. So far I have stripped off the paint, removed the stops and the glass. I have few questions:

1. Any suggestions on bedding compound?
2. When I install the stops, do they get bedded as well or caulked on the outside at all?
3. Two of the corner mitre joints which the glass sits on have opened up a little. I think this may have been the source of one leak. Should these be filled with some epoxy or something more flexible before re-bedding the glass?

Any other tips would be appreciated.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Re-bedding front window

Post by jleonard »

1. Sikaflex for bedding. I think I used 291 but read the product description it will tell you which one.
2. Stops?? Are you referring to the wood strips that frame the window? Bed them, no caulk outside.
3. Yes epoxy them, but file a small "canal" so the water doesn't puddle up on the frame and can run out.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jrose
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Midland, Ontario

Post by jrose »

Thanks! Not sure if I need the canal. The wood strip at the bottom is beveled so the water runs off. Here is a picture of the corner that has separated some. I assume that I would bed the wood strips to the glass with enough bedding to just ooz out a little?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

That's what I would do
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DeweysMom
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: moored

Post by DeweysMom »

Hi, I am also doing some repairing of of my boat and also I just followed your points for bedding on front. Other than this I am also looking for the bedding of the boat and need to change but size is issue here in Australia. Should I go for customization?
In bedding I love Bambury Bedding In Australia which are at 54% OFF Wholesale Prices.

Return to “36/37/40/43”