• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

transporting a 43 over land

stevieb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: groton ct

transporting a 43 over land

Post by stevieb »

Has anyone moved a 43 trawler over land? And what are the issues to consider when doing so? I may purchase one a long distance from my home base
Matura
1981 43' Albin Trawler
Groton CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: transporting a 43 over land

Post by jleonard »

Don't have all exact measurements on the boat right now. But I measured from my enclosure top and my flybridge rails are just almost 12 feet above the waterline.add 4 feet for draft and that's 16 feet with no ground clearance. No way without taking the boat apart.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

I checked into transporting a 36 classic from the Great Lakes down to the Atlantic Coast, the flybridge had to be removed. No way around it. It was far to costley (for me) to prusue. The whole deal was looking to be around 15k. thats a guess, I never got a quote on removing and reinstalling the flybridge.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
cih43
Mate
Mate
Home Port: bodkin yatch club (bodkin creek pasadena Md

Post by cih43 »

somehow sitting on the truck u need to get it down to 13' 6" your better off trying to find one closer its going to be costly
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

You don't mention from where to where although it seems you are located in CT.

While it has been mentioned that it would be costly and no matter how you move a boat it is costly, I think that you should consider (unless it is currently on the 'left' coast) moving the boat on it's own bottom.

If, say the cost was $15K to truck, that would buy a lot of plane tickets and slip time.

Say the boat was in TX. Say you want to get it to CT. Say you have a couple of weeks vacation.

You could move the boat a day at a time for 2 weeks. I did 100mi days when we moved ours (over Columbus weekend from Old Saybrook, CT). On that basis you could cover 1400 mi. In this example, it's about 700mi from Galveston to Clearwater (straight across). There is a week (actually less because a straight run would be done over 24hrs). Then another week from Clearwater to Ft. Myers across Lake Oki to Port Lucie up to Charleston, SC. Understand that is just a 'spitball' of what can be done.

From there to CT is weekend runs.

I think that this shows you the possibilities if it is a really good boat, it could be worth the trip and give you great familiarization with your boat.

Good luck with your decision.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

I think t was $17,000 and change to truck our 40 from Stuart, FL. to CA.That would have been an awesome trip by water!! If you make the trip by water, you may want to think about a Spring start time....depending of course on your distance. Being from Vermont, places start closing up in October, early November. You don't want to have to be on a tight schedule. If the boat is down this way (FL.) and you want to go to CT., no doubt what way I would take!! You could make the trip in a couple of weeks......or a leisurely 8 weeks like we did! :).

Good luck with your decision making.
Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
stevieb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevieb »

It turns out I bought a 43 Albin on the Saint Lawrence Seaway and I have just completed the first leg of the journey to CT. I am heading to Albany, NY on the Hudson where the boat is waiting for me to resume my trip to CT and will arrive in Groton next Tuesday, weather permitting!
Matura
1981 43' Albin Trawler
Groton CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Safe travels!!! The weather looks great for the weekend. Enjoy!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Congratulations, if there were a "Like" buttonn I would push it.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Where are you in the Albany area? My neck of the woods! The trip south to NYC will be a beeeeeauty!! Lots of scenery. We have stopped in Coeymans for an overnight.....really nice people...say hello Hedi for us.... Catskill and Roundout Creek are also great stops. You can't beat seeing Lady Liberty from the water in your own boat!!! We did the East River from Cos Cob...a nice ride passing under the Brooklyn Bridge and passing by the United Nations Building. A trip we will never forget!!!

Let me know if you need any info and enjoy!!!!

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
stevieb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevieb »

I should finish this post to say that I journeyed from the Saint Lawrence Seaway to Groton, Connecticut with the help of experienced friends and the trip was an enjoyable and exciting adventure. The trip took a total of 14 days and was a great way to get to know the boat! No mechanical issues with engine/transmissions. I am now "on the hard" and will enjoy some winter projects. Can't wait to put her back in!!
Matura
1981 43' Albin Trawler
Groton CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

193 days to go....
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)