• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat stands

stevieb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: groton ct

Boat stands

Post by stevieb »

I just purchased a 43' Albin trawler and need to purchase boat stands (poppets). I know I need 3 stands on each side, 2 boat stands aft and midship, and a sailboat stand for the bow. Does anyone know what size stands I need to purchase?
Matura
1981 43' Albin Trawler
Groton CT
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Boat stands

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome stevieb, interesting question, when we had our sail boat we had it on and off stands several times. I would think it to be a matter of what weight the stand is designed to handle and height you wish to reach. The person selling or renting stands could hopefully provide this information. We chained the cross stands together and put them on a firm footing, never had any problems. At our marina they handle a lot of boats, they grab the stands that are closets to them and crib the bow. If you know the points on your boat to support , should be pretty straight forward. If someone has better information hope they chim in. Thanks, Mark.
stevieb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevieb »

All I need to know is the height of the stands. As a yacht club member, I am required to provide my own stands. The yard crew will attempt to use whatever I provide them. Stands are all designed to handle the weight load.
Matura
1981 43' Albin Trawler
Groton CT
Sea Crawler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Trident Yacht Club, Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Post by Sea Crawler »

Hi stevieb, if your 43 is similar to my 36 which I think it is, my measurement from the ground level to the hull is 41.5" at the aft corners. The 36 measures 13 ft across the stern.

I'm in the same situation as you having to purchase boat stands because I too belong to a Yacht Club. FYI, I just received my stands (2 motor boat stands and 4 sailboat stands) from Scaffoldmart.com. I ended up purchasing the MBS-2 and SBS-3 stands with 3/16" chain. The MBS-2 stands are positioned at the aft corners and the SBS-3 stands are positioned at the engine room bulkheads. The boat's keel is sitting on cribs made from 6x6 and 4x4 blocks spaced along the length of the keel.

Check out the Scaffoldmart web site for more info. I was dealing with Gray.
http://www.scaffoldmart.com/boat-stands.html

Cheers,
Robert Plante
1980 Albin 36 DC; FL120
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

I own my own jack stands and have used them for our 43 since 2010.

You don't need a sailboat stand for the bow. I just have 3 on each side, start aft at the flat stern end moving forward. I think they are the 33"-50" size stands. I also use 4"X4"X18", 4 fore & aft and 4 crossing in 4 locations along the keel. That provides enough clearance under the boat to paint the bottom.

I have a picture I can send you, if you want, that shows the setup.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

stevieb, Attitude Adjustment got hauled yesterday at Yankee boatyard. If you still need this info I can measure the stands this weekend OR you can go there and measure yourself.
12118784_1054253751265497_8533756474481639506_n.jpg
12003169_1054253757932163_8442426931963176609_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

Nepidae wrote:I own my own jack stands and have used them for our 43 since 2010.

You don't need a sailboat stand for the bow. I just have 3 on each side, start aft at the flat stern end moving forward. I think they are the 33"-50" size stands. I also use 4"X4"X18", 4 fore & aft and 4 crossing in 4 locations along the keel. That provides enough clearance under the boat to paint the bottom.

I have a picture I can send you, if you want, that shows the setup.
Agree....no sailboat stand needed.

Just 3 on each side should be enough if robust.

The boat sits on the keel and the stands just keep it upright. The ones all the way aft need to be pretty tall...maybe in the sailboat range by default.

Be careful not to block the keel even with the ground...you will wind up bow down possibly with standing water on the decks.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
stevieb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevieb »

thanks all...I went to the Brownell website and used their stand calculator and it worked like a charm. I'm on the hard with good fitting stands!
Matura
1981 43' Albin Trawler
Groton CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”