• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Window shade/vent

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Window shade/vent

Post by kjg1951 »

I have a 1983 36 albin trawler ... The aft window on the port side leaks ... Can't find where the leak is coming from but is is brown in the bowel I have under the drip ... Any ideas of where it might be coming from ? Or has anyone put a vent/ visor over the window to keep some of the water from dropping down the window when it rains ....I have cleaned out the drain holes .. Thank you
Kevin g
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Window shade/vent

Post by kjg1951 »

kinda like they have for car and truck windows ..... ventashade ????
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Is this the window on the side that opens, or on the rear cabin wall that doesn't open? Where are you catching the drips?
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Kevin, The color indicates it's been in the fiberglass for awhile. I'd suggest you look for the leak in the overhead. If it's just leaking around the window, the water stays pretty clear when it enters the cabin. You might have a leak at a handrail, a fitting etc. It's pretty common to have a cabin top with water in the sandwich. Could also be coming from the flybridge/ top joint. Good luck, you're gonna need it finding this one. I've worked on a lot of these. Ben
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

Mike
It is the side window that opens
Fireant4040
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Biloxi, MS

Post by Fireant4040 »

I have a '78 36' and mine is doing the same thing. I'm going to pull the trim on both sides, clean the window channels, and reseal and rebed everything an see if that helps.
Fireant4040
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Biloxi, MS

Post by Fireant4040 »

Kevin, after I drilled out the bungs from the exterior side, I pulled the screws and then carefully removed the trim using various tools. I was very careful not to damage the wood. After removing the exterior trim, the trim on the inside was screwed from the back through the fiberglass. It looked like my window was repaired several times. Years and years of old caulk. I removed the Windows. Breaking one. The actual window frame was wooden and attached to the inside teak trim. Removing the inside trim pulled a lot of the veneer of. It was very brittle from the leak anyway and I was planning on replacing it. After removing everything, I was left with just the fiberglass opening. There were lots of screw holes and damaged fiberglass. I sanded everything well and repair the fiberglass and filled all the holes with West System 610 epoxy. This is where I am now. We had a big bout with a storm and it delayed me a little. After the 610 cures I'm going to give it a good sand and put everything back. While the trim if off, I'm redoing it to newish and had new glass cut. Hopefully putting everything back to like new will stop the leak.

Return to “36/37/40/43”