• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

electric toilet

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

electric toilet

Post by kjg1951 »

I am going to get a new toilet and this one will an electric flush.. I also want to have the ability to have it discharge overboard and also into a holding tank. I have a Y-value which is NOT installed yet ...This will be done in the forward head. anyone have any diagrams for the plumbing involved? I can now presently when off shore to pump out the tank using the maserator . but also want to be able to by pass the holding tank and direct discharge overboard.. I have a 1983 36 albin trawler.. thank you
Kevin
New Bern NC
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: electric toilet

Post by rebuckley »

The '83 36 shoud already be fitted for overboard discharge? Unless PO (or you) removed the existing Y? Unfortunately my boat is covered right now, and I am not positive where the Y valve (brass ball valve Y) is - possibly under one of the small hatches on either side of the head, or under the sink mounted to the wall? The discharge seacock is behind the head, under the sink (remove front panel of sink and a little yoga will get you in).
The only thing I worry about (I know it is true up here inthe North) the USCG does not allow a Y valve unless it is wired shut (wired with valve pointing to the holding tank) - I think they were even not happy about that and asked for handles to be removed, ore better yet a straight run to the holding tank. The plumbing is pretty straight forward. The larger (3 inch I think) discharge line woudl go into the neck of the Y, and you woudl have the two arms of the Y run to overboard and one to tank. The harder thing will be mounting it where it is easy to get to so that you can switch between the two. I am planning to replace the front head this spring, and could help then - - but here with the cold - I am already covered and tucked away. I may have a basic image - I will load it once I scan
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Here is an image for the Y
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

rebuckley wrote:The only thing I worry about (I know it is true up here inthe North) the USCG does not allow a Y valve unless it is wired shut (wired with valve pointing to the holding tank) - I think they were even not happy about that and asked for handles to be removed, ore better yet a straight run to the holding tank.
A simple tie wrap will suffice. I have been boarded and they were fine with that.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

That's good to know - it was a USCG Aux guy who gave me the hassle. But he does an nspection for us every year and I get the USGC inspection sticker...which is "supposed" to make life easier when boarded (although that may just be a slaes pitch)
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

As a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and having done numerous vessel exams, though not lately, I am surprised to hear of a USCG vessel examiner having anything to do with a holding tank. The form does have that, "Overboard discharge outlets must be capable of being sealed". Here is the form that is used, http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012.pdf, and again #12 on the form only asks if a marine sanitation device is present, but on the back does refer to the outlets capable of being sealed.

Keep in mind that this is a Vessel SAFETY Exam.

We have an Electra Scan which is a Type 1 'approved sanitation device' (in some places). And after treatment it discharges a harmless substance overboard.

All this being said, and since we plan to be in large NDZ in the coming months & years we are fully aware that where you boat and how much the 'potty police' want to hassle you that all of the Y-valves and direct piping may not do the trick.

To that end we are anticipating putting in a composting toilet, with nothing overboard and again from what we've heard we still could get hassled.

Certainly, if you do get a Vessel Safety Exam and proudly display the sticker you receive, you MAY not have any issues.

BTW, if you don't have a flotilla handy, print out the form and go over your own boat, with the eye of an examiner. While you may not get a sticker, you WILL have the knowledge that you are operating a safe boat.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Y valves and holding tanks: I know when you moor a boat in crowded Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island in California they board your boat and put dye in your toilet. That way if you either intentionally or accidentally discharge overboard you stick out like a sore thumb and are in deep doo-doo (no pun intended).
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Nepidae wrote:As a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and having done numerous vessel exams, though not lately, I am surprised to hear of a USCG vessel examiner having anything to do with a holding tank. The form does have that, "Overboard discharge outlets must be capable of being sealed". Here is the form that is used, http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012.pdf, and again #12 on the form only asks if a marine sanitation device is present, but on the back does refer to the outlets capable of being sealed.

Keep in mind that this is a Vessel SAFETY Exam.
Let me clarify that the inspection I was referring to was by the Coast Guard, not the auxiliary.
They got me on my maiden voyage one spring as I was going thru the break wall at the mouth of the Ct river on my way to Mystic.
By the way they were more than courteous.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
lauren
Mate
Mate
Home Port: craig, alaska

Post by lauren »

I have a 2005 albin 36. I cannot find a Y valve for overboard discharge. Previous owners have no idea as it has been where can pump out for its lifetime. i am in Alaska and 500 miles form a pump station. As you can imagine, with each passing day it becomes more of an issue. Anybody know where it is hiding or if they simply did not install a y valve when built. Neither is the holding tank apparent to me. Is it up under the front bed? I have found a pumping station under the floor outside of the head, but that would appear to be about the shower maybe? lauren top dog

Return to “36/37/40/43”