• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flybridge Hot Tub (seriously)

Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Flybridge Hot Tub (seriously)

Post by Despacio »

Most of my adult life I've had houses that had a hot tub or jacuzzi in the back, or on a deck. Now that I live on my boat I can't have that. I never saw how it could be done with the weight and bulk. I thought the hot water issue was a deal breaker.

One day wandering around Amazon I ran into the Japanese soaking tub. They have a term for this, which I can't remember. The smallest seemed to be 29 inches across by 29 high.

I did the math and it seemed worth a try. I have a 6 gallon water heater, even though Raritan makes a 12 gallon heater, which costs the same as the 6 gallon, so, I picked the smaller one (duh). The tub turns out to be closer to 24 across. The water level is all the way to the top with only 13 inches before I get in. That is only 25 gallons of water, 200 pounds, equal to one person.

I initially tried it in the forward cabin to see if it worked (almost fits in the forward head.) It took 4 cycles of the water heater (even with the engine running at temperature) so it took an hour to fill. If only I had bought the 12 gallon heater. But it was perfect.

I knew running a hose to the bridge from the galley, with the limited amount of hot water, was the hard way, so I bought a small on demand water heater and a pump. Hung the heater on my mast. I suspected the heater might be a hazard, but it's very simple and easy to use and not hot enough to cause a problem. It takes less than 15 minutes to run all 25 gallons through the heater and have the exact temperature I want.

The empty tub rolls up very small, the heater, pump and tub store in the other wise dead storage under my helm seat, total weight seems to be 15 pounds. I carry a spare propane tank, so that's not a problem, the pump plugs into my power port on the dash.

It only takes a few minutes to hang the heater, connect the pump, and fill the tub with the dock hose. With the water capacity my boat has I can use it on the hook.

If I had to do this over I might buy a larger tub, but, it's perfect the way it is. And my aching muscles love to have a hot tub again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Flybridge Hot Tub (seriously)

Post by jleonard »

Awesome!!
When we cruised the Rideau there was a 36 ft Carver behind us in the locks that had a hot tub bout into the bow.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”