• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Radar install

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Radar install

Post by kjg1951 »

I am getting a furno 1621 ... How do you run the cable from the dome wire to the upper helm .. Power cable is easy but the signal cable is another story ... Thanks
Kevin g
New Bern nc
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Radar inatall

Post by rebuckley »

Not the neatest method, but my wire runs down the stay for the mast (with wire ties) and then I ran it through the "brow" section (next to the bench seat) internally to the helm.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Mine runs the same way.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

I ran mine down inside the mast, to under the cabin brow along the startboard side, back up into the flybridge fairing, then down the wiring tube to the wire run inside the helm door post.

I wouldn't waste my time with wiring a Furuno 1621....while they are a minimal radar and better than nothing....my years spent fiddling with them when I worked for a marine electronics store and using them on commercial vessels....they were pretty minimal,

But if set on it...then you have choices where to run the wires.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Re: Radar install

Post by kjg1951 »

thank you for your help .... gonna look at the furuno wireless radars ....
dennisspain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle, Washington

Re: Radar install

Post by dennisspain »

Kevin
I have the Furuno wireless radar installed. I really like the unit. The major pluses for me were the elimination of wiring hassles, the cost, and the ease of having radar on both the upper and lower steering stations.
A couple of negatives: you need to provide power to your IPad as it really eats power when on, second your IPad will get very hot if you use it for long periods. I bought a used second IPad with 16 mgs just dedicated to the radar as I was afraid the heat might harm my primary IPad.
Don't permanently bolt the unit down until you've tried it underway. My 36 DC really squats in the slower speed ranges where you will using the radar the most and and it will point the beam up too high to see immediately in front of the boat where you would like see the most. I had to shim mine after installing the mount.
Finally add the nobltec app for a fully integrated nav system, very useful, and inexpensive. Unless you are a commercial fisherman or travel in lots of fog, you can ignore all the negative reviews from the folks with "real" radar units, this unit works great for me when I leave before sunrise or run into unexpected fog or crab pots.
Good luck
Dennis
Journey
1982 36' DC
An endless restoration project
Olympia Washington

Return to “36/37/40/43”