• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

36 fuel tank replacement

brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

36 fuel tank replacement

Post by brookesmith »

Liquid Therapy is a 1979 36' with original tanks. Yesterday when I took on fuel to the top of the sight gauge. I found fuel had leaked somewhere near the top of the starboard tank. I could see drips on the vent hose. I have taken pictures as this is a very difficult area to investigate due to the A/C Compressor being in the way. I see no evidence of the lower part of the tank leaking. And wherever it was dripping seems to have occurred only during fueling. The main fill hose looks cracked on the outside from the only side I can see. The hose clamp looks ok. I'm really suspecting the hose. But the camera shows the top of the tank has all kinds of flaking. I don't see evidence of leaking there. So, I'm still thinking it's the hose from the fill on deck to the top of the tank. But if the worse fears are found that I need a new tank. UH, I could use lots of advise on what to do...
Thanks

Brooke Smith
Liquid Therapy
On the way back to the Chesapeake. Currently Brunswick, GA
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Re: 36 fuel tank replacement

Post by psneeld »

I cut my tanks out and put in 2 -58 gallon Moeller poly tanks.

I still have 300 nm range so that's good enough, especially because I can draw down to near nothing as they remain spotless and I can see the liquid level exactly.

That said, my tanks on the outside were pockmarked with rust, but when I cut them up they were still solid as a rock....just had a good amount of gunk at the bottoms and covered with asphaltines.

I am still happy as I doubled my storage space in the engine room and got everything away from the engine and genset and up on platforms out of the way.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Re: 36 fuel tank replacement

Post by brookesmith »

Thanks so much for your answer. WHAT MADE YOU CHANGE YOUR TANKS? I've pretty much determined I have a bad fill hose on the Starboard tank. I'm not going to change the fuel hose until we get back to our home marina. I ran yesterday with the tanks practically full and nothing sloshed out. Also the return fuel for the engine dumps back into the starboard tank. So, if I only add fuel to the port tank, the starboard tank will get filled. The bottom cross over line was leaking a few years ago and I just cut the valves off. I also found out that the cross over line is not ABYC compliant. So, that was another reason not to fix it. But the fuel always self leveled with the cross over. And now I have to cut the port tank on and off to manage the draw down.
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy

Return to “36/37/40/43”