• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Overhead removal - 81 A36

dgulliver
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Norfolk, VA

Overhead removal - 81 A36

Post by dgulliver »

We are plagued with leaks along the port side, over the door area. I would like to remove the overhead panel section in that area and have a look. Does anyone know how it was attached to the athwartship overhead support stringers above? The material is so thin, it seems like it was glued up? No signs of fasteners. I don't thing they put up thin plywood and covered it with material that gives it the matte like appearance.
At present I'm considering cutting along the stringer edges across the ceiling to remove them a section at a time. Then using teak strips to secure them back in place, attaching the strips into the ceiling stringers. This would provide us with good future access for service, etc.

Advice and information would be greatly appreciated!

Don
81 Albin 36
Right Boat!
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Re: Overhead removal - 81 A36

Post by brookesmith »

I am puzzeled as you are about the salon overhead material and how it's up there. My guess is you have a leak on the port side fly bridge around or behind the seats. Before you go cutting anything get some clear silicone caulking and caulk along the floor and also the trim board on the outside of the fly bridge. Our flybridge has rain water running forward and puddling in those areas. It's a cheap fix to see if you can stop the water before you tear out the overhead. Also there are drain holes in the front and back seats where the wall meets the seats at the floor. Since we put a full enclosure we don't get water there. But you might have to clean those hoes out with a coat hanger. I actually sealed off the back holes to keep water from running forward into the unknown areas under the seats. Good luck and let me know anything you find.
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy

Return to “36/37/40/43”