• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1978 43 Albin dc leaking rear hatch

VA3MRJ
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Barber Marina Orange Beach Alabama

1978 43 Albin dc leaking rear hatch

Post by VA3MRJ »

I have water dripping from the wood frame of the hatch over the bed, also from deck but I know the deck is leaking under the teak so will fix it again.
The hatch cover was rebuilt and the hatch cover re-bedded. The leak seems to be coming from the outside of the vertical wood sides of the hatch. It has a teak deck around the hatch. The teak is sealed against the frame. The only thing I can think of is that water is getting under the teak deck, then hitting the hatch and migrating through the deck to the bed. It would not be so bad but its my side of the bed!!
The only option I can see is to take the hatch frame apart and remove it for a visual of how its sealed then replace it all with new sealant and repair any water damage. Has anyone taken the frame apart, or how is it sealed to the deck under the teak?
Just a side note I had a terrible window leak from the side window, during a rain storm I watched the water flow under the chrome weather strip (this is the one you pull open the window) and migrate around it to the interior. It was a river of water. Knocked off the chrome, applied silicone and taped back on, no window leak.
Just looking for any suggestions of sympathy.
David and Brenda
43 Albin
cih43
Mate
Mate
Home Port: bodkin yatch club (bodkin creek pasadena Md

Re: 1978 43 Albin dc leaking rear hatch

Post by cih43 »

I had two new windows made by waterway sys they did a wonderful job and took care of all my leaky widow problem now I can start fixing all my water damage in the aft cabin, I will have to remember to take som pic and post them
VA3MRJ
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Barber Marina Orange Beach Alabama

Post by VA3MRJ »

My windows are ok, I had one made locally and replaced it myself, the side windows never leaked but the overhead hatch does. Look forward to your pics.
David and Brenda
43 Albin
cih43
Mate
Mate
Home Port: bodkin yatch club (bodkin creek pasadena Md

Post by cih43 »

I made sumbrella covers for all my hatches not not only dose it keep things dry the teak stays nice
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Mine was doing the same. At first I thought it was the gasket. Lots of hose time showed the water was entering around the base of the wood frame. Replacement of the caulking on the outside between the cabin top and the wood frame did the trick. In retrospect, maybe an application of penetrating epoxy with a small syringe first may have helpful, but there's always next time. That deck gets a lot of traffic on the way to the bridge.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Same as chi43 - we made 2 Sunbrella hatch covers - zero leaks!
As for the leak - ours "looked like it came in the vertical sides" (like what you explain I think) but it did not - it would get into the hatch itself through the seams - then run the side wall and drip down on bed. Try something simple before you rip the vertical walls out!!
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “36/37/40/43”