• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Window removal

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Window removal

Post by kjg1951 »

I have a 1983 36 albin and am thinking about replacing the aft cabin port and starboard windows as they leak. Any thoughts on what company may be able to make replacement windows. and for the big question how do you remove the windows? any hints ??? besides have a lot of patience ... thank you
Kevin G
New Bern NC
cih43
Mate
Mate
Home Port: bodkin yatch club (bodkin creek pasadena Md

Re: Window removal

Post by cih43 »

I replaced my windows this spring waterway sys Sarasota fl 1-941-752-3554 he did a great job the old ones or not easy to remove without doing damage to the woodwork on the inside but if they been leaking for some time you will have root there anyway now I'm thinking about replacing my rear window or glassing it in before I repair the woodwork
dennisspain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle, Washington

Post by dennisspain »

Kevin
I have a 36 DC probably identical to yours. This Spring I replaced all 4 windows in the aft cabin and the one in the head. I could not save the trim inside or out. the windows appeared to be set in gallons of 5200 type caulk.
You will need a multi tool and a pair of small pry bars. Don't bother with the screws and bungs just split the trim. When everything is out you'll find each window opening to be unique. you will need to have an accurate pattern for each window. I used 1/4 inch MDF and traced from the inside. I used Peninsula Glass in Vancouver WA 800 468 4323. Use AL frames not plastic. Actually you should use somebody near you look for an RV window company. mine cost $3,500 +/-. It took 8 weeks to have them made.
To repair the interior, I first used Smith's CPES on all the solid wood and then used west system with filler to replace the damaged sections. After that I used teak veneer glued over everything. Do not use contact cement!
If you still want to do it after the above send me a note and I can talk you through the details.
Dennis
Journey
1982 36' DC
An endless restoration project
Olympia Washington
CHB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: East Greenwich, RI

Post by CHB »

I'm in the process of replacing the 2 aft cabin & 1 aft head sliding windows on my 1989 36' DC. I was able to save all of the interior trim for possible re-use, but the exterior trim and fixed window panes were destroyed during demolition. The 3 widows are currently being fabricated by Pommpanette. The frames are aluminum, tempered glass, white powder coated with mitered corners. 3 less teak window frames to deal with! The factory is in Charlestown, NH. I'm saving on crating & shipping charges by picking up the windows myself. I'll post some photos of the windows and the installation.

Return to “36/37/40/43”