• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cabintop and bridge leaks

mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Cabintop and bridge leaks

Post by mike66 »

I'm trying to chase down the sources of water that drips down my cabin top long after a rain or washing. The moisture has led to gelcoat cracking off in large pieces over the winters. Port side just aft of the cabin door some of the drips are teak tea. The cabin top was fiberglassed by a previous owner and painted with non skid It seem sound with no penetrations that I can see. Are there any fasteners that hold the bridge on that might be a source of the leaks? The water seems heaviest at the base of the wood trim strip where the bridge sits on the cabin top. Perhaps it then finds its way under the gelcoat from there.
Looking for guidance. Can the wood trim be removed to caulk, epoxy, or gelcoat the joint? I've recaulked everything I can reach, but no luck so far. Also I've begun to rebed the rail stanchions, etc. with butyl tape.
There are weep holes all along the underneath edge of the cabin top, but they don't seem to drip very often.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cabintop and bridge leaks

Post by mike66 »

More cracks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Good luck. We have been chasing a leak for 2 years
I think we may have found it today. But then again we thought that before.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

Any luck?
Mike and Sue Phillips