• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flybridge Wheel

pk2684
Mate
Mate
Home Port: NORTHPORT

Flybridge Wheel

Post by pk2684 »

Hello,

Any clue where you can buy a replacement wheel? The previous owner put a metal wheel on but i'm not sure if its due to the fact it has auto pilot ( wouldn't think so but I've been wrong before ) Ideal wheel is below. Thank you in advance
5447729_20160323144334077_1_XLARGE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Flybridge Wheel

Post by jleonard »

Most marine consignment shops I have been to have an assortment of wheels on hand.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Did you try posting on Trawler Forum?
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
dennisspain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle, Washington

Post by dennisspain »

That looks just like my wheel. I think those wheels were stock. Has nothing to do with the AP. I'd try it for a season before I'd look for a replacement. I think the larger wheel makes me a better helms person, kinda make for a less reactive helm.
Dennis
Journey
1982 36' DC
An endless restoration project
Olympia Washington
Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Southwest Florida

Post by Parrot Adventure »

Hi -- your flybridge looks like ours (with teak decks). I believe that wheel was standard for installation and I like the steel perimeter when chasing anchor chain or having to shift my rudder while maneuvering in close quarters...
Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate

Hi Swabby, I've finally learned how to again load photos on the AOG website -- my high definition camera saves files as 1.9 MB files and I need to crop them to under 1.0 MB. Here are a few photos of our wheel and flybridge. Are you in North Port, FL, or elsewhere? I am in Clearwater, FL. Thanks, Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Parrot Adventure - nice pics - I have to ask a couple of things. (a) Love the cup holders attached to the stainless - can you let me know the name/place you got them? (b) I see on the bottom shot some 'pvc' rails running up both sides - what are those?
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate

Hi Reb, thanks for the comments. I purchased the Liquid Caddy cup holders from West Marine and they are also available at a variety of outdoor stores. Here they are at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/23598485?wml ... 3=&veh=sem You also asked about the poles mounted in rod holders on the main deck stanchions -- the original owner added those (they are 1" diameter hardwood poles) which support a homemade sunshade system. Please see the latest photos below. The original owners added a water maker, wind generator, and removed the original steel fuel tanks with aluminum tanks as well as removed the teak decks. I do my best to continue in upgrades, like the waterproof Bose stereo speakers and flybridge rod holders. Check out the photos of the sunshade which is helpful in Florida. Thanks, Mark
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Nice! Our aft gets hot enough here in CT/RI so I am sure it is fantastic to have that in FL!
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

I did find some wheels as well - not exactly like our original one, but there are a few that come close, and at least they are not just decorative, these are actual "wheels".
http://www.fisheriessupply.com/steering ... ing-wheels
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
pk2684
Mate
Mate

Post by pk2684 »

Hi Parrot Adventure,

Northport NY, just trying to find an original or close to original wheel. Previous owner put a small metal wheel on.
Parrot Adventure
First Mate
First Mate

Hi pk2684, I'm not sure where you could buy a replacement wheel. We're here in Clearwater Florida and have two marine salvage yards nearby. Have you looked on line? Check out the post in this same string by rebuckley regarding purchasing wooden ships wheels from Fisheries Supply...

I'm thankful our 1981 Albin trawler is pretty much stock equipment. The original owners removed the teak decks (now fiberglass) as well as replaced the steel tanks (now aluminum). Other than those items, the boat is basically original with the original Ford Lehman 120 engine. The engine has 7,100 original hours, has not had an overhaul, and runs great. I've read much about these engines running 10,000 to 15,000 hours before an overhaul, so I do all of my own engine maintenance and repairs. I only run the engine at 1,500 RPM and make 6 knots.
J0k3r
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland, OR

Post by J0k3r »

The flybridge on our Albin has a wheel like the one in your picture. The lower controls have an identical wheel but without the stainless wheel part on the outside. I believe both are stock.
Forty Six & 2
1984 49 Tri-Cabin
Twin Volvo TAMD40A
Portland, OR
http://mvfortysixandtwo.com
pk2684
Mate
Mate

Post by pk2684 »

Thanks, My 81 36ft is pretty much stock as well, original Teak decks..I'm getting pretty good a caulking and chasing leaks haha..Love the look of the decks but going to need to figure something out in the future. Ford Leh 135 overhauled with only 185 hours on it..So far so good. Will keep everybody up on my hunt for the elusive fly bridge wheel.

Return to “36/37/40/43”