• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ignition Buzzer (alarm)

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Ignition Buzzer (alarm)

Post by rebuckley »

Hello -
I am posting this in here, as I think most of our trawlers are wired the same. I have put in new gagues, and chased many gremlins that have been around for a long time. First, the upper helm station was always "hot" - it was wired directly to pos/neg - so there was always a charge going to the gauges up there (possibly the reason they finally died). The lower helm, the positive wire was controlled by the key switch. So for the upper helm, I found the positive coming in, and simply put a switch in to act like the key switch.
Now, I am not able to get the starter buzzer to sound, when the key is turned on. I am not sure what the actual buzzer looks like, if it is part of the key switch - or a seperate unit? My concern is that the buzzer may be the same as the alarm for temp and oil, and since it is not working for the key, it may not work when the alarms are tripped.
Does anyone know where the "buzzer" is located, or what it looks like? If I coudl find that, I think I can trace the issues with it.
It was working just prior to me adding the new gauges and switch. I did try removing the switch and rewiring it direct, but no buzz. So I may have dropped a ground while installing gauges, just not sure where it may belong?
Thanks
Reb

<<I guess it is both the alarm relay and the buzzer I ned to find - I am pretty sure I forgot to ground the buzzer, but no clue where it is or what it looks like>>
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Ignition Buzzer (alarm)

Post by RobS »

Do a google images search for "piezo buzzer" that should get you some exemplar images and help you track it down.

Your concern is a valid one in that no "key on" buzzer means no buzzer would sound should an alarm be set off. The oil pressure switch on the engine is "normally closed" so when you "key on" that circuit is closed and the buzzer sounds until the engine is started and the oil psi reaches the switch's setpoint (like 10psi or so) and then the switch opens and the circuit disconnects and the buzzer silences. The temperature switch is the opposite, it's "normally open" and only closes when the engine gets hot enough to reach the switch's setpoint and then the switch closes and sets of the buzzer. So at key on the temp switch does not sound the buzzer.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Thanks Rob - that makes me think again, it coudl be because I was messing with the Oil Alarm sender - I removed it to install the new Oil Pressure sender - - I will need to double check that, as maybe I put it back without all connections.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

So on my Yanmar the buzzer or pietzo, https://www.google.com/search?q=piezo+b ... BTAQsAQIMw, as they are called look like this. They are powered with positive when the ignition switches are turned on. The need the ground made to buzz. So they are normally closed and open on pressure. They use a resistor board so the multiple devices trigger the same alarm buzzer. You will have 2 oil, 2 temp etc.. One for the gauge and the other for essentially the idiot light or buzzer. It should be wired tied up on the wiring loom if it is not panel mounted.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The buzzers on the old boats don't look like the ones in those pictures.
They are "old school" buzzers. A good sized metal box with some screw connections.
The lower buzzer is under the helm and the upper is under the upper helm.
They should be easy to spot. Should look something like this image (shown with senders).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Thanks Jay - I think i know exactly where that is. I saw 2 boxes like the one on the left of the image - in the wiring closet of the lower helm. Both next to each other. Is there a way I can "test" them or make them sound? Grounding them?
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Grounding will work IF you have 12v to it. Putting it's leads or terminals across a 9v battery (like a duracell, energizer, etc.) should be enough to confirm the buzzer itself is operational.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “36/37/40/43”