• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stern Glands

Mikecambrai
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Ramsgate, uk

Stern Glands

Post by Mikecambrai »

I have an Albin 43 with twin Volvo TAMD40's. The stern glands are not lubricated with either grease or water pressure from the engines. When they drip, as they should' I just tightened them up a little until the drip is slow and controlled. Over some 50 odd years I have never had a boat in which I did not have to turn the greaser apart from a Princess which had a water pressure feed from the engine.
Does this mean that I just keep compressing the packing until I get to the end of the adjustment and then add some more or rake out the old and start again?
I would like to understand the theory behind this greaseless gland. Any thoughts are welcomed.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: Stern Glands

Post by mike66 »

I've never had to do it, but the old packing needs to be cleaned out and new installed when tightening doesn't slow the drips. Teflon packing can be tightened to little or no drip. Our props shafts turn relatively slowly, so the packing should last a long time. For the "how it works", an Internet search should give you an answer.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Mikecambrai
Mate
Mate

Post by Mikecambrai »

Thanks for your comments. I will need to check the spec of the existing and the spare packing in the tool box. I had not realised that you can get packing impregnated with PTFE but will start my search nw!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Just a head up but there is a packing which I think is called GFO Goretex. I used it on my rudder packing three years ago and have never had to tighten it since bedding it in. It's not cheap but gets excellent reviews as shaft packing.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

This is what I have in my boat instead of a regular shaft seal. It's nice because it's largely maintenance free since the seals on a 28 are hard to access

http://www.norscotshaftseal.com
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Mikecambrai
Mate
Mate

Post by Mikecambrai »

It seems like there is more innovation in the States with respect to gland seals.
I have researched the Goretex and it looks worth a try. I have had difficulty in finding a supplier in the UK because it is sold in industrial qualities of 8m lengths at around $500.I have found a supplier who has an offcut of 1m which I am in the process of buying at a cost of $100 including carriage. I have found no chandlers who stock GFO anywhere in the UK. PTFE seems to be the only 'high tech' option.
Thanks for your inputs.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Mikecambrai wrote:It seems like there is more innovation in the States with respect to gland seals.
I have researched the Goretex and it looks worth a try. I have had difficulty in finding a supplier in the UK because it is sold in industrial qualities of 8m lengths at around $500.I have found a supplier who has an offcut of 1m which I am in the process of buying at a cost of $100 including carriage. I have found no chandlers who stock GFO anywhere in the UK. PTFE seems to be the only 'high tech' option.
Thanks for your inputs.

Mike,

keep looking - i was able to buy it in 24" lengths for around £45 imported.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Stay away from anything that has graphite in it.

Steve D'Antonio says with the graphite being a dissimilar metal you can get pitting on the shaft.

BTW, did you try Defender Marine. I don't know if they ship overseas but an online check wouldn't hurt.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

That is interesting, Graphite (actually a form of carbon) is a non-metal - however - it is the only non-metal that can conduct electricity. I woudl bet there is something behind the possibility of it causing electrolysis. Too bad, as it is awesome in a friction situation. But I think in a SS application, it will conduct an electric current....need to dig back into my chemistry books on this one.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “36/37/40/43”